I bought my first trumpet!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 12, 2008.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    7C is just fine to start. Your teacher may be a veteran player, but his advice hasn't been all that great. 7C is very common for beginners.

2. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Yeah, a one of a kind piece of crap maybe. Sorry, but, ebay mostly has junk. Any decent beginner trumpet would cost you 199.99+ Did you think of renting one first?? I hope the trumpet doesn't fall apart or the valves freeze up. I know it's your first trumpet, and I was gonna get a cheap one also and something just told me not to get it at this place online and I cancelled the order(forget that the lady didn't wanna cancel it and I had to call my credit card company). I got a Back prelude, $229 from Sam Ash. Ask your trumpet teacher to play on your new trumpet and if it sounds decent, then, maybe it'll be ok. But, of course, you have to know what sounds good. It's not too hard, there are tons of videos on utube etc. Good luck.

3. Schilke player

Schilke player New Friend

Mar 26, 2008
    Brentwood, TN
    Well you usually get what you pay for but that horn looks pretty good for that price,especially with the 1st valve slide thumb ring. What does your teacher think about it? He play it yet? I think my first horn was a King Cleveland bought in the mid 1960s, then got a King Silver Flair around 1969. Thats good advice not to spend too much if you're not real sure if you're going to stick with the trp. Good luck with it!

4. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    WOW Decentplayer your not very nice

yer my teacher said that he also went only and got that one for his other students so they can use. He said ti was good enough for a begginer. And he said if u want to buy one to go get that one and thats y i got that one.

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Just ignore the rude people. You'll be fine. If trumpet is the instrument for you, then you will EARN a better trumpet by putting in the time and effort. At some point the horn will start to hold you back (not for a LONG time) and that is the point where your teacher will recommend a different horn for you. Just ignore the trumpet snobs.

6. ConnAir55

ConnAir55 New Friend

Jul 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Sorry Hitman, but any trumpet under $200.00 will only cost you alot of aggrevation. Even as you practice, to potentially continue and trade up. Your teacher did not give you good advice, although when he was young, good horns could be purchased for $200.00. I purchased my first (and only ) Bach Strad 37ML for $350.00 in 1971.

But the key is, pick up the trumpet and/or mouthpiece every day to get that muscle memory thing going in your facial muscles.

Good Luck with your purchase. Give us a head's up about how that Brand of trumpet is holding up. It may just be fine.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hitman,

Who (or what repair service) in your area will repair the trumpet if you have trouble with it? Some will not repair "all" trumpets. Just a thought!

Keep practicing!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hitman,

Don't worry so much about what people think about your trumpet purchase. Practice as long as the trumpet holds up. You live in Australia. so we know horns are expensive there. With the trumpet that you purchased, you'll know soon enough if it is the instrument you want to pursue.

By the way, my first horn was a "hand me down" non-descript "stencil" cornet. Eventually a used Bundy came my way which left much to be desired. But, I leaned to play anyway. I'm many years "down the road" from that instrument and I have owned Conn, Reynolds, Blessing, but the "non-descript stencil" was a good starter horn that helped me to learn. Hopefully, your trumpet will be that for you. As you get better, odds are that you will look for a trumpet that you can grow with. Everyone has to start somewhere! Keep practicing, learning and lconcern yourself less about whether you made a good deal or not. There are people on this forum who play top-notch instruments and they mean well with their advice to move in that direction. It's a bias, but a well-meaning one.
    They want you to do well and a better instrument helps.

If you like trumpet, read the forum, and play music with other musicians, you will find what you may want to have for your next trumpet purchase.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  9. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    I'm not trying to be mean to you. I have just been where you were once and are trying to give you good advice. Alot of the stuff on ebay can be junk. Your teacher probably didn't want you to spend alot in the case that you drop it or don't like it. I would have been very happy to have found this site and gotten the good advice before I bought a new trumpet. You didn't state that he he gotten this particular trumpet for others in u'r first post. I've been playing for over 7 yrs, so, I do know some stuff.

10. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    Well i just go the trumpet yesterday and had a blow in it.It sounds like the one i got borrowed. It feels alright and it has alot of sliding tubes and i believe its for turning correct? The trumpet is good enough for me to practice and get the basics out of it and it will tell me if the trumpet is what i want to carry on with or not.