I can't do the lip buzz - can I still play the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zorrosg, Feb 16, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It's practicing in your socks on carpet that really brings the drool factor into focus. :-P Trumpet is a shoes only kinda thing, IMO.

Turtle

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

I keep a 2-3 ply section of newspaper in with my Real Books as the solution to trumpet drool. It's cheep, absorbs well and keeps the drool off the feet.

One piece of advice is DON'T USE COMIC sections. I had a kid, while rehearsing at a band member's house, run off with it down the hall. Had I used a copy of the Wall Street Journal, this faux pas could have been preventive.

We digress from the topic of the thread, but perhaps a new thread may be distilled (pun intended) from this one: How do you deal with your trumpet drool? In private; In public?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Gmonady,
    try the 2 meter tube and you will know what I am talking about.

I think with well over 40 years of playing and well over 30 professionally as well as teaching and designing instruments that I am in a modest position to talk about what works - and what has proven to be a big comprimise.

The non-resonant behaviour of a mouthpiece alone is not a very hard concept to understand. Habit building needing real-life parameters isn't either. There is a BIG difference between bringing a crippled player back or crippling a healthy one. My teaching limits the buzz to max 5-10 minutes a day, the rest is devoted to optimizing the playing experience. Even the stroke patients that I have worked with did not need more than that and were able to get their playing up to speed before their speech.

I am not going to argue about a towel. If that tickles your fancy, go for it.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    rowuk,
    I started playing the Hammond B3 in night clubs at age 7, and picked up the Olds Ambassador 4 years later. This qualifies me as a professional player for 48 years, so I have 18 years on you young man.

I received my MD in 1987, and have admitted on average 3-4 stroke patients a week while attending a busy general internal medicine ward service, and I coordinate the rehabilitation for all my patients. I teach muscle physiology in the Cellular, Tissue and Organ Systems course for our first year medical students at the Boonshoft School of Medicine for going into my second decade now. Trust me when I say, I know from experience, isolating and working muscle groups selectively works wonders.

Thank you for supporting and wishing me well on the mouthpiece in the towel method, as when it comes to strengthening muscle, the physics of the metal has minimal effect on the ability to work muscle groups, other than providing the surface upon which to vibrate these contracting muscle groups as they focus toward creating specific notes. Nothing, not even a 2 meter hose can give you that kind of fine motor control.

5. sunmed

sunmed New Friend

Feb 22, 2011
    North East
    That was funny. I actually lol'd. My daughter gave up the clarinet for the trumpet. Now I think she want's to go back.

6. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Thanks for bringing this thread up again as I had not taken notice of it before!
    I had fun and lols too!

To me mouthpiece buzzing is one of the most important elements of practicing.
    To force your MP buzzing lips to certain pitches without the horn's support to me is a very efficient way to get my chops under control.

BTW - claiming 30 years of professional playing (whatever that may mean) to me does not neccessarily make weak arguments stronger.

;-)

tobylou8 likes this.