I can't form my embouchure right

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MBRules101, Jan 5, 2011.

1. MBRules101

MBRules101 New Friend

Nov 10, 2010
    I have been playing trumpet for around 4 years now, and i just switched to Euphonium a month ago under my directors recommendation because I have always had a embouchure problem on a small trumpet mouthpiece. I have made a big mistake by not playing on my trumpet on that month, since the Euphonium mouthpiece is obviously a lot bigger than a trumpet mouthpiece. Now i have jazz band tomorrow and I'm playing trumpet and I am a bit worried about what will happen. I do however have the time to practice trumpet today :play: and obviously the bad embouchure is coming back to haunt me. Any help?

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Stop listening to anyone that suggests you switch from trumpet to anything if you really want to play trumpet. Get some private lessons with a pro trumpet player and get your embouchure corrected.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you practice the switch, there is no problem with maintaining the baritone AND the trumpet. There is also no problem with tuba and trumpet for that matter. I just means even more practice time!

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Maynard Ferguson use to play a host of lower brass instruments along with trumpet often in the same show. The time needed to practice will go up if you are to play both. Just make sure you balance the practice time between the instuments. Don't rob Peter to pay Paul.
    Good Luck