I can't get past high Eb and it is frustrating me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    I found that with my playing I can reach Eb super solidly but E refuses to come. (I'm talking about E 3 ledger lines). I would most appreciate anyone that could give me some minor tips, and maybe even help other trumpeters out there.

Thanks

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Blow super duper hard.

That is one of my favorite notes, right behind the D. Just go up in half steps from the C and blow harder for each note. Play it loud and then work on getting it quieter.

Welcome to TM!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here IS the best advice I can give you:

Don't let it frustrate you!!

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Try 1st and 2nd valves like used for 1st line E.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It is possible to play all the Notes C, D, E, F & G open.

I would suggest that you use the same valve combinations from the low register whilst developing these notes. So for E use 1&2.

You need to develop your chops with exercises and this will build the reliability. Lip Slurs, scales and also get the sound in your head. The valve combinations will help in that you know the sound from the bottom register, so will just move it up. Grab some easy tunes, and try to play them up into that range as well. No secret, just practice, and it does not have to be blowing harder. It is muscle development up there.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I'd say that if you are struggling with the E then you are actually overblowing and pressing to play the C & the D also.
    You need to build up the foundation.. not work on the roof!

Do Colin Advanced lip flexibilities range exercises... pages 55-59 Do them softly and controlled... with a metronome. slow & even.

Don't do the D's until you are very clean with the C's.

Then go on to the D's on pages 59-63's. Keep doing the C's also. Lots of rest between exercised. Do not reset between partials on the WHEE notes.

7. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    What exactly are the colin advanced lip flexibilities range exercises? Are they important to know. I am 14 and from Australia and I hear about lots of American kids that shred so much better than us. Is that one of the things that helps boost them, or is it just huge amounts more of practice and competition form others? Thanks.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think this results from the high fructose drinks American kids consume.

10. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    4 1/2 years