I can't play my Monette tonight

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Jul 3, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Yesterday I didn't have a job playing so I decided to wash my trumpet. Monette recommends that you let it dry over night and replace the O rings and the felts on the valves each time you wash the trumpet.

Today I went to put it back together and I don't have any more felts. I already threw away the old ones so I can't even put them back on.

I guess it's back to Bach tonight and tomorrow night and the night after.

On another note:

I went to the craft store and bought some clear stretchy plastic string. I have been using this for a while on my C trumpet. I don't like the black thread that comes with the trumpet because it looses it's stretchiness. (if that is a word)
    The plastic stuff doesn't seem to ware out.

P.S.
    Manny,
    Did you get the CD's

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    No, I haven't been to Orchestra Hall. I have a rehearsal tomorrow morning and, assuming that's where you you sent them, I'll pick them up then.

ML

3. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Elasticity

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I played my other trumpet last night.
    Two nights ago I played the same show in another town. The wives that sit out front heard both shows.

In both concerts I played Trumpeters lullaby.

Last night the wives said I sounded different. They said that I sounded better on the other trumpet.
    The singer in the band also made a comment on how much he liked the sound on the Monette.

I have always liked my sound better on the Monette but it is nice to get conformation.

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I assume the singer is not also a trumpeter. Now, the wives that sat out in the house: are they trumpeter/brass players or just listeners? It would be interesting to know.

ML

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    The wives were not musicians that I know of. The husbands play trumpet and drums. The singer used to play trumpet but not anymore.

In another band with completely different people, the conductor commented on my sound shortly after getting the Monette saying how he likes the new sound and so did a percussionist.

The percussionist said, "I can't put my finger on it but there is something about your sound lately that is so nice." He didn't mention the trumpet.

Lastly; I played for a parade a while back and then a concert an hour later.
    I didn't use the Monette in the concert and a trumpet player came up to me after and said that I sounded better on my Bach trumpet.

(He was playing on a very light weight trumpet with a jet tone mouthpiece)

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, what a surprise. That's what I thought...

I think there's a lesson in preconceived notions for me in your accounting.

ML

8. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Perhaps also in hyperbole.

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    ?

I lost you... what hyperbole? As I read back, I didn't notice any "over the top" statements. What do you mean?

ML

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Well;

The accounts really happened. If you live on the East Coast you can come to the next concert and listen for yourself. Come and introduce yourself and I will talk to the conductor and make sure I play a solo with the band.

I will also introduce you to the wives that made the comment and the singer.

Hope to see you soon,

Joe