I can't take it anymore

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stradbac, Dec 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. stradbac

stradbac New Friend

Nov 8, 2008
    I'm a return player of about 1 1/2 years now. I stopped playing over twenty years ago for a number of reasons, not the least of which was my being plagued by cold sores. I rarely got them while not playing. I've tried everything but they return. I took Lysine, goldplated my mouthpiece and I have a suppy pf famvir on hand for the periodic outbreaks. This is extremely frustrating because I want to play. I'll do 2, two hours sessions a day, (time permitting), I make consistent progress and then, Bam!! Another one. It takes days for the thing to clear up enough before I can play again and then it take a few days of cautious playing to recover. Two steps forward, one step back.
    So, my question is, does anyone have a miracle cure? Is there something out there that I'm not aware of? Can I do or take anything to prevent these things from tormenting me? I'm 48 and not getting any younger. This is my last trip around and I'd like to see how far I can take it. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am allergic to silver and gold. When I switched to stainless steel mouthpieces most of my issues (swelling, burning, and fatigue) greatly diminished.

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    talk to your Dr. about Valtrex [pills] works wonders for me.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    My outbreaks of cold sores are directly related to my level of stress. If you have a stressful life, finding a way to reduce the stress may help. I would also consider consulting someone about: Chinese medicine, ayurvedic medicine, and a change of diet toward the vegan concept.
    veery

5. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

"..does anyone have a miracle cure?" -stradbac

That's a shame, Strad. Nothing worse than the inability to pursue what we enjoy. I've been meaning to read some of Bruce Fife's books: 'The Detox Book' and 'Oil Pulling Therapy', specifically. 'The Cocunut Oil Miracle' looks like a good read as well.

Bookstore Detail

Your post also reminded me of:

www.fantastic-voyage.net

-Some incredible, preventative health strategy there.

Cheers

Chris

-

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

7. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    there are also some cheap plastic or acrylic mouthpeices that folks use in marching bands in cold climates. That's a cheap way to go and if you don't like those mouthpieces find a stainless steel one (assuming you don't have issues with stainless).

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Talk to your doctor, cold sores are caused by Herpes Simplex 2virus, I get them maybe once every year or two usually when i`m run down or sick with a fever.

9. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    I've had a lifelong problem with mouth ulcers and have to avoid eating abrasive type things like toast. I also have to be careful to avoid certain brands of toothpaste.
    If one does start to appear, Kenalog paste will usually stop it developing as long as I catch it early.

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    As Al said - cold sores are caused by the herpes virus and when I was playing a lot more I got them quite often [about every month]. Since I was prescribed the Valtrex I get them about every other year. When I feel the tingle start in my lip I take one pill and the cold sore never appears. My last bottle lasted about 9 years, they got so old I threw them away.