I can't tell te difference

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Apr 20, 2009.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have five Monette trumpets. The first four came with all the same valves. When you give the trumpet a bath you are supposed to change the felts on the valves. They give you a bunch with each trumpet and if you need more, they are free.

When I got my MF trumpet I never looked at the cleaning kit that came with it. I just put it away with the others. It turns out that the felts on this trumpet are different and after my first bath I was using the wrong felts. To look at them they are clearly a different thickness. I just played my trumpet and didn't notice a difference. Today I put the correct pads in and again, didn't notice the difference.

I guess a precision valve alignment wouldn't help my playing.

2. luckyhornman

luckyhornman New Friend

Mar 22, 2009
    Where Grass Is Blue
    I too have discovered that the alignment, due to felt thickness, was off on my Holton. I went to the local Lowes and purchased some rubber washers of different thicknesses and viola! Alignment viewed through the second valve slide was much improved. However the rubber washers were hard and didn't dampen the valves on return, resulting in loud clanking when I played. Oh well, couldn't hear any audible improvement, so back went the felts.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    B15,
    I am sure if you called Dave, he could tell you what 6 notes in the entire range of the instrument are affected by the wrong felts!

For all of the geeks, open the tuning slide spit key and then just play a chromatic scale from low f# to as high as you can play. Almost all of the notes on the horn are just fine - even with that hole open!

Any of these "precision" things deal with a VERY small subset of what the horn can do. The horn is the sum of all of the parts though! That is why it makes sense to not take any chances!

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    You are way too much pampered ROFL Don't you have one to give away??? ROFL

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Perhaps the horn is so finely built a PVA isn't as big of an issue? I don't mean that as a slam... I truly am amazed everytime I watch the Monette shop video.

Joe, we need to meet soon so I can give your mpc back and also try out that horn!
    ;)

Best,
    T

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Here is an update:

I played a church job today with the correct pads. High E on the staff was a little flat. Not enough to really care, I just never noticed it before.

Trent,
    One of these weekends I'm going to visit my brother near Boston.

Hope to see you then,

Joe

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'll second the suggestion that you may need to give one away ... :p

but that's really interesting

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I would consider selling the 993

9. willbarber