I changed embouchure, drastic improvement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Dec 3, 2009.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi I just changed embouchure, I was 1/2 upper lip 1/2 lower lip, but now I/m 2/3 upper and 1/3 lower lip

and it did miracles, I gained endurance, power, range,

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Success is measured in months and years. Post again in 6 months. Then we will know for sure.

You post no details. Just moving the mouthpiece will destroy power, range and endurance for a while until the muscles get used to the new position. It takes even longer to get back any consistency as the fine motor muscle movements have to be trained.

After the muscle rebuild, you should have your old performance. If you are VERY lucky, maybe a bit better.

3. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    well I found a teacher and he suggested me to change

the improvement was instant

He told me That I had wrong embouchure for years but that wrong embouchure in the end left me with extra powered muscles

now everything is much, much easier

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    This sounds like BS to me. Re-read ROWUK's post about fine motor skills.

5. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well, if it yields good results then you did well! As long as nothing hurts and there are no DETRIMENTS to your playing then you're on the right path. Just keep an eye (and an ear!) out for anything that doesn't feel or sound "right"... You and your teacher will know it if you spot it.

All in all, embouchure and technical considerations aside, your goals should always be centered around making a beautiful SOUND and turning that into good music.

6. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    Here's another thought. Maybe you didn't change anything other than where you are blowing. Before you were blowing into metal, now you are blowing into the hole in the metal. Just a simple thought.

Or, before you were not blowing a straight path from throat to hole and had some fleshy obstruction in the way. Either way, let us know how you feel in six months like Rowuk says.

7. brendag123

brendag123 New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    brownsville, texas
    my emouchure is messed up! but yet i play really good...
    1/4 upper lip 3/4/ lower lip... so yea i agree with rowuk...

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Prepare for some ups and downs. It's possible for that kind of adjustment to work great right away, I've seen it happen, but more often it's a tough process. Hopefully your teacher gave you good advice!

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Depending on your lip shape and teeth formation, you could of finally found the right spot to set your mouthpiece, hang in there and good luck.

10. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    That sounds like the proper placement for a french horn mouthpiece, 2/3 upper, 1/3 lower. On trumpet, I am training my lip to 1/3 upper and 2/3 lower, with good results. I guess it is to each their own.