I could use some help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Googon, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Googon

Googon New Friend

Feb 18, 2008
    Well, I don't really play the trumpet, I play the coronet. It is the same as the tumpet except it is shorter. The one I play is a silver Eterna by Getzen. I have been playing it for maybe 2-3 years total. Playing it came natural to me, all music does. Not to sound conceited. Anyway's back to what I need help with. My school band is going to attended Massed Bands again this year, and the some my teacher picked for us to play has a ton of high notes.

The first few weeks I could hit all the high notes just fine! High A and B's and a few Cs. I am talking about the ones above the cleft =p. But fior some reason, like the past week and a half, I have not been able to hit them, my horn just blows air and makes a scraggly tone like I was just starting to play.

I don't know if this is important, but this all started happening the second after I cleaned my trumpet. I don't know what to do! We are performing in about a month! I have been practicing for like an hour every day at school, and an additional hour at home, but I still have trouble hitting the high notes that I used to be able toh it so easily.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME/MY HORN!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Googon! Either your horn was so dirty cleaning it opened the bore by a considerable amount or: you put the valves in the wrong order (check the numbers on top) or not properly seated (turn the valve until it locks) or: if from the early 70's or before, the cork on the water key no longer seals. Sometimes the Amado keys (the push-button water keys on later models) will freeze open. Did you rinse it well? Sometimes gunk can move around and get packed together somewhere in the horn when cleaning.

3. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    It could also be a mental thing. If you played them once you can play them again. Try and hear the notes in your head before you play them.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Googon,
    I think you just beat your face up "hitting" the high notes. Normally, with proper preparation, you gain endurance in the high register. If you are not ready, "force" replaces brain and your body just quits after a while.

I have helped many other players with this.

What is required is a couple of short practice sessions daily instead of one killer one. You are not allowed to force anything during this time. The only time in the week where you are allowed to do what it takes is during band rehearsal.

The routine I suggest is breathing exercizes first (do a search on "circle of breath")
    Then 15 minutes of lip slurs and long tones (VERY SOFTLY!!!!!!!). Then take at least 20 minutes break. When you come back, play some tunes that do not go up very high. Take another break and do some more lip slurs but up higher. If a note doesn't want to come, don't force it!!!!!! It probably will the next day. After this 20 minute session, play 5 minutes of low long tones.

The quickest way to build range is with good breathing, lip slurs and long tones - everything softly! The quickest way to destroy your progress is force. Replace muscle with brain and you will be just fine!

5. RaeRayMusic

RaeRayMusic New Friend

Feb 12, 2008
    Carmel
    Hm. That's weird. I agree with what everyone else is saying. It does take awhile to build things back up after cleaning an instrument. It might be your range itself that needs to be built up too. But don't worry. Chances are this problem will fix itself.

6. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    I agree with rowuk, mostly because I've done the same thing several times in the past. You're just not ready to play those notes the way you probably expect to be able to play them and you're beating your face up. Take it easy! There's no quick path to high notes! Play softly, and rest often to let your face recover. Trust me, I have a hard time following my own advice, but I know it works.

7. qazaq

qazaq Pianissimo User

Feb 18, 2008
    Does the horn sound any different? Does it seem to be a lip failing, or a mechanical failure? Does it seem like anything else is different?

Is it an exceptionally old horn? There may have been buildup, as some others mentioned, that increased the resistance of the horn and allowed your lips to vibrate faster, producing the higher notes...and the air to travel faster through the horn, producing higher notes...

And perhaps you put a valve in backwards...I've done that before...

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    You need to tell us more about yourself. The characteristics of your writing indicate you may be missing some basic trumpet playing education.

How old are you? Where do you live? What is you music education system, public or private? What grade are you in?

I don't think music is natural to you.

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    ya learn something new every day!