I DON'T GET IT - Uri Caine Mahler CD

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by josephus07, Jan 29, 2006.

1. josephus07

josephus07 Pianissimo User

Feb 19, 2005
    Hi Ed,

I thought that since I've developed into quite the Berio enthusiast, it would be interesting to hear Uri Caine's Mahler CD again (the Primal Light one with the yellow case) and see what reactions I have after being so enthralled with Mvt. 3 of Sinfonia.

I have to say that I think I'm missing something, and maybe by opening up a discussion about this I can find out what I've been missing about the jazz genre in general.

There are a lot of different ways to describe how what Mr. Caine did on this CD can appeal to people, so would you mind sharing how you feel this project:

1. Stimulates you intellectually
    2. Stimulates you emotionally
    3. Inspires you musically
    4. Influences you creatively
    5. Sheds a new light on Mahler
    6. Challenges you
    7. Has artistic "value"
    8. Has a purpose

I have to say that I'm not going to pass any judgement on the music and I have spent FAR too little time living with the music to really even know what I think about it, but at this early juncture, I have to say that I'm not sure what to make of it. Can't wait to go hear him play live in Feb.!

Thanks,
    David

2. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    josephus07 & ec:

for me, it's reminiscent of expressionistic art...with a bit of semi-conscious nightmare added.
    i chuckle a bunch too, because i've heard the originals soooo much.

dj

3. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Good morning from snowy Montreal,

My take is a bit different. I believe that the purpose of such a project is to make you listen. . .and I do, very carefully, to anything that is new, different, and creatively presented.

Best wishes and thanks for threads such as this.

EC

4. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I agree with Ed that the idea is to make you listen. It also is about letting contemporary musicians from cultural backgrounds other than Mahler's make musical comments on the piece. One of the things I found was that after living with Uri's version I went back and noticed a lot more elements of folk music, ethnic roots, cabaret, etc. in the original.

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I personally love EVERYTHING ABOUT these Caine projects. One of the biggest kicks for me is the fact that he is trying to put HIS take on some of the most wonderful music ever written. He's trying to shed new light on the material, take some of the Mahler "folk" song roots and interpret them in a smaller ensemble setting.

One of the biggest reasons I stopped playing classical music was that I was so bored with playing the same way player "X" played. I even did that at the beginning of my jazz life. I do find it incredibly valuable to go back and learn from the masters but I want to express music in my own way. No offense to the great "translators" of our generation.... I just find the music not as inspiring as stepping on a stage every time and creating music from your head.

I really wonder what Phil Smith would think about Dave Douglas' interpretation of the opening triplets of #5 ;)

On a serious note I think Mr. Caine's music is stirring me as much as the orchestral version, just in different ways. I dig both!

6. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Dave Douglas told me that on the earlier takes (including the take both he and Uri preferred) he played the triplet lick with a plunger ala Cootie Williams. He only played it open on one take (at the producer's request) and that is the one the producer chose to use!