I Don't Know Anymore

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by erd402, Aug 7, 2009.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Huh?

She's this
    [​IMG]

NOT this

[​IMG]

Uh
    [​IMG]

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    erd402,
    Freshman year for me was iffy, I got braces and I felt like my playing was going completely down hill. I started working hard on my playing, doing range exercises, practicing hard, and perfecting drills. Yea I got the range, whoop die do. But I heard from others my tone was dying off. So I took a break from exercises, just played for pure FUN. No goals in my practice sessions, didn't even call them practice sessions, I just took out my trumpet and played my heart out, for enjoyment. If I liked a song, I would figure it out by ear, and I gathered a new skill from it, plus in the process, without the heavy load on my chops, my tone slowly gathered itself up again, and now MY tone is back. The tone I had for a little bit, was not me, you know stuffy, you could hear my mood in it, and it was saggy. With a new view in mind, and against what many may say A BREAK ( this summer I took a three week one, picked up my trumpet today, tone is sounding gorgeous), your playing might come back.

Im a sophomore aswell, and other then a couple of jazz scales I need memorized, I don't practice anything fancy anymore, I do a quick warmup of a concert Bb and a couple other scales, and take a song I like on the radio and figure it out. Don't stress your chops and start getting in your head the idea your tone is bad. I did that, it didn't end up well, I overpracticed (there is a thread on here somewhere..............) and overstressed, killing my tone.

I don't know if what I wrote makes sense, its summer my brain is on vacation, but thats all I got, good luck in fixing your tone.

-Kristina

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    In which city do you live? Maybe someone here knows someone or has an idea of how to get you in touch with a mentor or instructor that can work with you on a casual basis until you can afford regular lessons. There are many people who are eager to help young up-and-coming musicians. If you live in Southern California, I would be willing to help. My wife and my daughter both do that for young guitar students.

Try ALL of the above suggestions. If you really plan to be a musician, you will find a way to absorb new ideas in many different ways.

Good luck.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    You've probably developed some bad habits, and the only way to find and correct them is to get a private teacher. No need to start all over ,just fix or tune-up what you already have , then go from there.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    here's a thought. If you know a GOOD teacher, see if they will trade lessons for chores around the house. Like yard work, etc.