I dread playing outdoors

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Aug 11, 2011.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Since I play in a band that does alot of outdoor playing, I find it much more difficult to get a nice sound. It seems the notes just go out and I don't get the feedback like I do when I'm playing indoors. Are there others that feel the same way?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yep

Harder to get a good sound because you don't hear what you are used to hearing.

This was last week, 95+ degrees and looking into a bright sun.

Just try and concentrate on your basics, don't over blow and don't worry about the sound.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There probably are. But my experience is the opposite. Our band practices indoors and most concerts are indoors. When playing this way, I can barely hear myself and it seems that I am drowned by the rest of the section.

We played an outdoor concert last week. I felt like I was playing a solo on every note. I could only hear myself and was barely conscious of the rest of the band.

Maybe it was that I was playing a trumpet that I don't regularly play indoors - or maybe it was a slight breeze blowing in our faces - or maybe it was psychological. I don't know but I sure could detect a difference.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Nice sounds. No fair. Using mics! :)

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've never particularly cared for playing outdoors - some people seem to love it. I just don't like the lack of feedback - you still sound the "same" but your sound just goes out into the air.

Nice playing Chuck!

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree. Because there's less feedback, I have to be careful not to overblow.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is so dependent on the person behind the PA and the use of a well balanced monitor system. If you are playing at a high profile outdoor gig (I do love playing professional outdoor jazz festivals), they will likely have a great monitor system and a well trained PA technician.

HOWEVER, to play outdoors with our own PAs and no monitors can be more challenging. So I put the speakers behind the band so we here what the audience hears. Mics are neat; especially cordless which allows you to play around into the audience to get sound checks to hear it as they hear it, but they are the lesser part of the equation.

BUT if you get an amateur that is entitled to run the sound system, the odds are you will be doomed, whether you are in-doors or out-door.

Bottom line pipe dream: Have a great monitor system, as when you hear yourself in the mix with the band, you will not tend to over blow, your will sound more relaxed and you will make it to the end of the gig in prime shape.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Chuck, the only thing hotter than the weather was your sound. TRULY EXCEPTIONAL.

This is a GREAT example of a good outdoor sound performance. It can be done. Great lead mic balance with the band. This is what I am talking about when there are professionals involved all around.

9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I like to play in a large sanctuary where the sound echos back so beautifully.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sanctuary's are my favorite. They are so forgiving, as is He.