I dread playing outdoors

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Boy, I know about that. Been there, done that, more than I'd like.

2. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009
    I am playing in a community band that plays outdoor concerts every Sunday. We are also rehearsing in a truly horrible temporary rehearsal room. It is so easy to over blow both places and just kill yourself. I actually think I prefer the outdoor venue to the rehearsal room this summer! :bash:

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    For what its worth, in my youth I used to play/sing in bluegrass bands. Lots of outside work and it was really tough singing in tune UNTIL I found the key. I wore a wide brimmed hat. It captured enough the sound to give me enough feedback to stay in tune. I haven't done this stuff in a while but, if you can get away with it, you might want to give it a try. Its cheap

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The analysis is good up to now, but the player outdoors needs to prepare like everywhere else.

Practice more outdoors if your band does that.

The horn "vibrates" so if you are not gripping it to forcefully, your left hand gets feedback too.

I blow into the stand and that reflects generally enough info to keep me on track.

I also make sure that the trumpet section does not try to "prove" anything by making life unenjoyable through blasting.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    yep to all of the above.... so easy to over blow.
    Very nice Chuck .. playing in tune outside is a monster ... okay question.. are you using a shallow cup mouthpiece?

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Definitely not psychological. What setup are you using Kris?

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1 the stand is my friend

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    If it's your own PA system ..... work out the arrangements of monitors so that you can hear better. It is possible to hear very well on stage. Possible. It doesn't seem to happen very often. When the singer can't sing on key, that's usually the reason.

Get a better PA system. BOSE ..... Best sound on stage I've ever heard was my niece and her singing partner through one of these BOSE systems with sub-woofer and skinny tower that puts the sound out in all directions. They heard EXACTLY (on stage) what the audience heard. I walked all over that venue and around the stage .... the sound was identical everywhere. When you can hear that well, you sing and play at your best.

Turtle

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    So how does this apply to a concert band that isn't using mics and monitors?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I was thinking the same thing.

Most of the outdoor gigs I've done have been without amplification.

As previous posts have mentioned, playing into (or partially into) a stand can help you get an idea of how loud you're playing.

You can also work volume exercises into your practice schedule. If you can get your body used to the way you "feel" at 15%, 50% and 80% volume levels, you'll be able to play reasonably close to those levels regardless of your environment.