I dread playing outdoors

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Aug 11, 2011.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    By the time summer gets here I can’t wait to play outside. I LOVE a HOT stage, bright sun, big crowd. You can’t beat an outdoor festival for live music !! A few years ago on tour we played at the Windsor international blues festival in Canada. We did a 90 minute non-stop set on a 115 Degree stage, it was almost unbearable, LOTS and LOTS of water during the show, with an EMT crew side-stage !! So there are the extremes ! I always use wireless in ears so hearing is never a problem for me. By the time summer ends though, I’m ready to get back inside and play the indoor shows, so goes the cycle !! I like both ! :thumbsup:

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I like practicing out doors in the park, it doesn't annoy my immediate neighbors, and I like the sound better than my smallish apartment. Just point your horn at a tree, trees have great acoustics. It really is one of the better things about playing a trumpet, they are so portable, and great under most playing conditions, though I hear playing very cold gigs can be painful. I find myself memorizing more songs, just so I have better repertoire playing out.

3. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Awesome Chuck! You really nailed it. I notice your not playing into the stand. That could be one of my problems, as well as over blowing. I just don't hear the sound when I play outdoors like I do when I play indoors. When I play in church I can hear the sound filling up the chapel.

4. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran
    Inside or outside you get to stand next to that pretty girl to your right. How can that be a bad thing......right?

In any case. I, like smooth operator, practice in a park under a tree, sometimes dodging foul balls, and really enjoy it. I am also an old drum corps. guy so outside is pretty normal. An earplug does wonders as a poor mans monitoring system too.

I change parks, rotating where I practice but spend a lot of time outside

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  5. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    When we play in or outdoors we like to sit in a tight as possible group.
    I think this helps us listen to each other and play as group.
    This way we are not to preoucupied about how we are sounding, as you should be blending in as a group ......
    Was once told if you can't hear the player next to you ,,,,your proberly playing to loud.
    That being said Playing outside does have its hazards..

Cheers

6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Also, I think that defects in technique tend not to carry as far as the other parts of the sound(weak tone vs. strong tone), so the odds are if you can't hear your mistakes neither can they.

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    As far as the PA, it was unamplified so I was hearing just the feedback from my trumpet (and the french horns in front of me).

As far as my trumpet, I was playing my nickel-plated Studio. I normally play my Selmer Invicta or my LA Special during indoor practice. The nickel-plated models do seem to be louder but not by that much. I am wondering if the breeze was just carrying my sound back to my ears more that I normally experience.

What's your take on this, Dave?

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I don't think it was the breeze.. I think it's the actual vibration of the horns and the bones near our ears... and the french horns probably helped reflect the sound back. I was wondering if you were using a darker sounding horn when you play indoors. You could get buried if the rest of the section is playing with a bright setup. Oudoors the lower frequencies actually carry better.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My comment does not apply to a concert band. In that situation, it all depends on the acoustics of the outdoor set up. A band shell may be ideal here. We have a new venue in Dayton that uses a modern design of a plastic cover over a concrete floor that has the BEST acoustics I have ever experienced without the use of mics.

[​IMG]

I believe the original post was more generic: "Since I play in a band that does alot of outdoor playing, I find it much more difficult to get a nice sound. It seems the notes just go out and I don't get the feedback like I do when I'm playing indoors. Are there others that feel the same way?"

...which was then followed by a post from Solar Bell showing an excellent mic system. So, I my comment was continuing with this trend.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    115 Derees in Windsor Canada? Just accross the river from Detroit too! By the way, I was in Windsor to visit at a Farmers Market several years ago. What a fabulous city.