I dropped my mouthpiece...

Discussion in 'Horns' started by gregc, Oct 21, 2004.

1. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Gold plated, and I dropped it on a tile floor. The very end on the shank is slightly flattend in one spot. Can I get it fixed? Should I just put a tapered tool in the end and tap it back or is some expertise required here..... maybe I toss it and chalk it up?
    Help!
    Thanks,
    Greg

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    If you toss it, toss it my way!!

It's definitely reparable (as many times as I dropped mine running to the drill field, I'd know). Usually all that is required is gentle use of the taper tool.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    The mouthpiece taper tool costs about $18. I carry one in my mute bag. I make lots of friends at gigs and rehearsals when I hear the awful sound of a mouthpiece hitting the floor. 1 minute later they are ready to go.

Jim

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    round nose pliers would also work to fix this if you dont want to buy a reamer.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    But be careful with the needle-nose pliers. Their taper is usually different from that of the mouthpiece and you might end up "belling" the very end of the shank. Easssssyyyyy does it.

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    sorry i should have added that :oops:

:wink: thanks tootsall.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Something I should have added as well.... if you suffer from a loose 2nd slide, this same technique can be done to tighten it up. But be VERY careful that you don't damage the inside of the 180 degree bend with the tip of the jaws on the pliers IN ADDITION to being careful not to bell the end(s) of the slide!

8. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I fixed the end of my Bach's 3rd slide (which kept falling out) by just gently pushing the the ends of the tubing together. Hasnt fallen out since.

9. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have used a nail punch or a center hole punch. They are normally round and tapered and looks like a mouthpiece tool. Either tool works and works well. Cheap too. I recommend the nail punch over the other. The center hole punch is pointed.

I recommend that you take your mouthpiece to the Hardware Store to see what size of punch to buy.

If no one at the Hardware Store is looking your way, use the tool to staighten your mouthpiece and then put the tool back and walk away. Darn, I can't believe I really made that recommendation. Please don't read this last paragraph.