I finished the Marathon Walk in memory of Karen

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by TrentAustin, Sep 19, 2005.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dear Trumpet Friends,

I wanted to let you all know that yesterday was the Jimmy Fund's annual Marathon Walk and it was an absolutely beautiful day to walk... 75 degrees, overcast, and low humidity! Thank goodness! :)

First a thanks to people who allowed me to reschedule last weeks' events/performances to help me prepare for this walk. I appreciate your flexibility and understanding.

I woke up at 4:00 AM (usually the hours I'm coming back from Nantucket or the Vineyard) and drove out to Hopkinton. I was bubbling with excitement knowing that my "training" for this event was going to be fully utilized (and then some!) for this walk. I got my T-shirt, proceeded to stretch for 20 minutes and thought I'd get an early start. I started walking at 6:30AM. The people walking were all inspiring and the Jimmy Fund really takes care of us walkers.

Good news! I actually finished... hard to believe but I did it. 8 hours 10 minutes later Robin Milliazzo and I crossed the finish line (Robin joined me half-way and without her there I don't know if I could have made it! Thanks a million Rob!) It would have been quicker than 8 hours if the port-a-potty line in Newton wasn't so long and the walk wasn't so crowded with people (which is obviously a GREAT thing!).

A VERY SPECIAL thanks goes to my wife Laurie who was there supporting me all the way and pushed me to finish. I love you so much! She did think I was crazy for walking this length but then again so did I. ;)

I raised a small sum of money directly to the Jimmy fund and THANK EVERYONE very much for contributing to the cause. Many people offered money and I told them to donate to the Red Cross after the hurricane Katrina devastation. Thank you to everyone for that as well. The warmth and good wishes went a long way to push both Robin and I to finish.

Most importantly I want to acknowledge that everything we did was in tribute to our lost friend and musician, Karen. While I still hurt today it's nothing compared to what she went through. She always displayed amazing courage and strength while battling this disease. I don't think I've ever met someone as strong as her. In fact I think she might have been there with us pushing us along. We all miss you so much still but hope she's smiling above.

If you still want to honor her memory with a small donation to the Jimmy Fund you can until November 1st! The link is posted below. Please consider donating, even if it's a small donation. Every dollar helps!

http://www.jimmyfundwalkregistration.org/trentaustin

Thanks again to everyone for their love, spirit, and support. God Bless Karen!

Trent Austin
    http://blog.trentaustin.com

2. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Trent,

Congratulations on a very significant achievement. More so, thank you for getting involved. There are so many people that talk the talk...
    It is refreshing to hear that someone has actually followed through for a worthwhile cause.

Thanks again and best wishes.

K

3. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Congratulations Trent, I know how hard it is to walk a marathon, my mother has walked several and she is in tip top shape and comes back worn out and exhausted after every one.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    G-d love ya, TA... that was a mighty fine thing you did for the sake of maintaining someone's memory and building beauty from the ashes of tragedy. I hope you all raised a bundle.

ML

5. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Congratulations Trent,

But, I think it would have been nice for you to play your horn while you were walking (just kidding). However, you are a far better man than I, in more ways than one.

Now if they had a "rockingchair - a- thon" I might be able to compete.

Again thanks for your contribution for a worthy cause.

Gary

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I almost called my wife to ask her to bring my Olds Studio (outdoor gig horn now that John Brunious is using my Committee) for the walk. Next year I'll pack a pocket trumpet in my backpack! Woo-hoo. I'll have to learn more dixieland tunes (I do know a ton but 8 hours is a LOT of choruses on Bourbon street parade hahahaa)

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I wish you could have all met Karen and heard her love of the trumpet. In many ways I try to emulate her all the time. She always played with passion and intensity, no matter the situation. I remember when she would have treatments in the day and play two hour quintet gigs with me in the evening. I cannot tell you how moving that was. All of the brass quintet clips on my website have Karen's sound on them (those were all recorded in the late 90's... I'll find more recent stuff with us two on them... boy I can't tell you how fun it was to play in quintets with her!)

I really think she was there pushing me along... especially in the beginning when I was averaging 4MPH. It got really busy as most people only did the half marathon and therefore really bogged down the route. But who cares! They are all doing it for the right reasons, and it warms your heart to see the love and dedication these walkers had.

If I can walk 26.2 miles I guess I can focus my intensity for one more recording session tomorrow for the new disc. I can't wait...

Take care, and keep on keepin' on!

Best,

T

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Trent,

I hope you where able to accomplish the goals you set out, you have done a truly amazing thing.

8. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Trent,

That's a great way to pay tribute to a friend like Karen.