I Found A Group!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Feb 11, 2008.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I am sooooo excited!

I've been looking all over the internet for a group to play with. I even talked to MFFan because he doesn't live too far from me. But I couldn't find anything. I sent emails to local band directors and didn't hear anything.

Well this afternoon I decided to talk to the local music stores and so I called up the closest one. It turns out that my county has a community orchestra! They meet one night a week for an hour and a half. And they are not far from me!

I talked to the director by phone and he is excited to have me join the group. Two of his trumpet players are in Florida for the winter (LOL) so he is happy to have another trumpeter. I told him I'd definitely need low parts until I get my chops back.

But you don't understand how excited I am to have the opportunity to play in a group setting again! :play:

2. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    That's awesome! Good for you!

3. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    sounds great misty. :thumbsup:

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I do think this is going to make it easier to practice, to actually have things to work on besides etudes. I'm so hyper now! You wouldn't know I'll be 30 next month with how bouncy I am. :p

5. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    is this or band or string orchestra?

6. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I will report back Thursday. I think they are happy with whatever instrumentation they can get. :) Supposedly they did the New World Symphony last year. That piece has such a kick-ass horn part.... anyway :) First rehearsal is Thursday. What a great Valentine's present to give myself. :)

7. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Awesome... will you get paid for gigs? its not necessary, but its always a plus:D

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Congratulations Misty!
    You are right about the motivation of practicing things that you PERFORM. Another advantage of symphonic playing is that YOUR sound is not covered up by the rest of the orchestra. This keeps you much better in tune with your progress. If you are playing 2nd or 3rd trumpet, part of your job is to keep the solo trumpet player happy. Count rests openly, adjust intonation and volume to optimally support their sound. This will be mega fun!

9. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Great news! That,s the key element to getting back in gear, band motivation.

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    No paying gigs, I'm sure. :)

rowuk, I can't wait to get back into that group playing dynamic. I always really loved it. I hated the dreaded solo recitals!!