I Found A Group!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I wouldn't rule it out Misty, I played in a band where we used to get $40.00 for each monthly concert. (the house ran into trouble and the money did dry up eventually but it was nice while it lasted).

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    That is awesome Misty!! If anyone is in the Hampton Roads area of Va... here is your opportunity!

HRMB

Mike

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Great going, Misty. Thanks for mentioning me. The grapevine usually turns out to be the best source of information. I'm sure you will do well and there are all sorts of benefits in playing with an organized group of music lovers, whatever the level of play or pay. My Kalamazoo Concert Band is giving a concert Sat nite with the West Michigan Winds band from Muskegon as guests. That is a good concert band, I hear. We are themeing on auto and transportation related stuff, like "Ride" by Hazo, "Metroplex", "Sunrise at Angel's Gate", "Vehicle", "Route 66", "Roller Coaster", "Chitty Chitty, Bang Bang" and others including a couple of joint numbers including "Klaxon" march. Should be fun, but the weather has been tough to deal with the last couple of weeks. Please keep us informed on the orchestra "gig". You are just a kid at 30!:-)

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Congrats, Misty! I'm sure you will do really well, and that your group will be happy to have a new member that's so excited to play! It's really nice to see that there are still so many community groups working around the country.
    Et Mike, I know a bunch of people that play in that group! I play with some of them in a monday night rehearsal band, and in Frank Foster's group! Have we played together before?

5. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

When I get good I want to find someone who liked to do that strum-chk! strum-chk! backing on geetar while I do Stephane Grapelli type jazz adapted for trumpet hehe.

Before that, I really do want to get a webcam and bring on the decline of the 'net that much faster by putting vids of me playing on YouTube. I might be able to get together some kind of accompanyment on the computer or something, I have something called GarageBand.

Congrats on finding a band! Coffee shops etc often have open mics or come and jam days, around here they do, and there's a "jazz bar" too.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Great news, Misty! Etudes are pieces for trumpeters with no group to play in!

Have fun!

7. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Another way to get a group where there are lots of street musicians and hustlers in general. Bring some bells and a tambourine, some of those shake eggs and shit. OK now when the various street denizens come over to hang out, horn in, whatever, start handing 'em stuff and form a big ol' noisy clangor-band. "Everybody Must Get Stoned" by Dylan is a good one, and has a swoopy trombone part, not sure if that can be done on trumpet. But try. Hey you have a band! W00t!

Actually, I'm only half joking, kinda.

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    You must be fully joking if you are talking about busking, in very rural northern Indiana, in February. LOL

9. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Eeviac, what, aren't you in any street bands yet? Marching for social justice and labor rights and free music and all things good? For some bands all you have to do is show up in uniform (the definition of "uniform" is up to the wearer) and with an instrument. If you can play the instrument, so much the better. Those shake eggs are neat - I got one for the youngest nephew at Christmas and it was what everybody wanted to play with. The street-types could use a bunch of those to help fill out the rhythm section.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  10. pipedope

pipedope Pianissimo User

Sep 2, 2007

I was born and raised in Crawfordsville, IN the winter conditions can be rough and many areas simply don't have the population to support busking.

Great you found a group! It is so much fun to play with other people who love making music.