I found my "Aperture" Voila!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by applianceguy, Feb 14, 2013.

1. applianceguy

applianceguy Pianissimo User

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    I found the "sweet spot"

My trumpet teacher had told me about this many years ago, and I finally discovered what he was trying to teach to me, all along. It reminds me of the Movie.., "The Jerk" with Steve Martin, when he finds out about his "Special purpose" and writes home about it. lol! The aperture is the smooth part of the lips that open first, as you are gently blowing air, through your "pursed" lips. I learned about it from "Charlie" on the internet, and Wow.., what a difference it makes, when you center your Mpc. over this opening, and then you begin to learn how to "lip slur" your notes, by drawing in your upper lip, while tightening your abdominals. My range is now,, PHENOMENAL!!!

Thanks Charlie!!

2. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Happy for you!

3. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    See a doctor, get rid of it. ...And don't trust whitey.

4. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    My range is pathetic (next to none). Should I be looking for a "sweet spot" to extend it? How much does Charlie charge for sweet spot detection or does he only shows you his own and says you 'Go, find it'?

5. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I lost my sweet spot because I just came back to horn from taking 12 years off...I wish I knew "where to find it." like Steve Martin did in the jerk.

I think Miles Davis mentions aperture on the Arsenio Hall show...He explains how his first teacher taught him how to blow...It was quite comical.