I gave advice today...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Shoe, Jun 24, 2013.

1. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I agree. In this case 'suck' is just a word, but to learn anything, you have to start somewhere, and in the beginning you are going to flounder. With playing an instrument, especially one where you have to create the notes, your attempts are going to sound like a dying beast at first. The piano is a piece of cake though - just sit down and plonk away at the keys. Music!

HERE

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    “Suck” is definately an accurate definition of how a beginner will sound….. It may even be a technical term in the R Bans trumpet bible…..

3. Shoe

Shoe Pianissimo User

May 16, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    I know when I first picked up a french horn (no starting on trumpet for me) I sounded like I dying Wilder beast for about a year.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've had Arban's ever since high school and now approximately 60 years later I'm still not satisfied with my own performance of his arrangement of a Carnival of Venice, enough so that I'll record it for posterity. Too, I've now the platinum edition of Arban's with the CD for comparison ... and I'm not really happy with it either, whereas it is too perfunctory, not unlike so much "teaching" media. Geez, can't they/we come up with some beginning music that is more contemporary than Mary Had A Little Lamb, Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, and Cherokee Chief?

5. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I'll repost....this is a great book/method!!!

The Jazz Method for Trumpet (Tutor Book & CD): John O'Neill: 0073999214642: Amazon.com: Books

6. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Although not for beginners, I'd recommend the HAL Leonard playalong music book + CD combos for playing at home. Many of the arrangements are easy and accessible and it's fun to play along with the CD, which usually has a backing track only as well as a demo track for each song. It is known, disparagingly, by some as 'trumpet karaoke', but that's exactly what it is! I've got about 10 of these books and they are great for keeping your lip in.

These guys are playing along to these exact tracks:

Desafinado

Cry me a river

Harlem Nocturne

Fly me to the moon

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  7. Shoe

Shoe Pianissimo User

May 16, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    I'm gona look into those for myself