I Get So Upset

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jul 9, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Real fast... Dizzy Gillepsie bepop fast!

2. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I think a lot of it has to do with how we are taught in our younger years. I look at high school bands today (I had a granddaughter playing in one a couple of years ago) and I noticed they carried music on the field (you know, those ugly/awkward lyres). I told her and some of her friends in the band that when we were in school we did a new half-time show every week and we never carried a sheet of music on the field or in a parade. They couldn't comprehend doing that today and in general I don't think anyone wants to work that hard, especially some of the teachers.

I can still play a lot of the music we played then (50 years ago) and I still find myself playing a lot from memory on some of the things we do today although some of it is because in my old age I can't read as fast as I once did.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  3. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I would love to pay without using the dots on our bands signature pieces and would love to hear any advice on how to improve in this area

4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I don't think I have THE only method for memorizing music but what I do is to play over & over a measure at a time and keep adding a measure till I get it. One other thing I think is key is to have the piece firmly ensconced in my mind, I can sing or hum it. I think you have to be able to hear it in your head and then you can pull it out when you need it.

5. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    I find that playing a piece over and over again in its entirety works for me. And I agree with being able to sing or hum it really helps ground the piece in your memory. When I memorize pieces on guitar I have to remember the positions as well as the notes and knowing the melody and the total the sound of the piece in my head really helps when I get to a sticking point. If I know the melody in a particular arrangement well enough the accompanying positions seem to fall into place much more easily.

6. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Not to worry - a local HS band actually does the same thing [different halftime shows every week, memorized]...repetition is key for me, and listening to a song over and over helps, too...I also have some piano training to help with that, but I find it easier to play by ear on trumpet, but transcribe in concert pitch [trait from the piano]...

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I can't play by ear well enough to do it in public. I can memorize music if I have to, but I like dots. There's plenty of fun (and profitable) playing to be had playing dots, so I'm not worried about it.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This will allow the melody line to be well appreciated, but it does little to help one to actually memorize how to play a piece, unless such a unique person has perfect/relative pitch and an audiographic memory [the photographic memory equivalent]

Going over it and over it with the instrument in hand is the best way to do this as we are most working with muscle memory. When you get a tune "under your fingers" you don have to think twice about playing the song or phrase, once the song or phrase pops into your head.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I agree -- life is easier with the dots --- although bringing back my recall of Italian and latin for HOW the music is supposed to be played ---- well that is like that spaghettig -- adante ((ie. Al dente)) -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I can play my Hammond B-3 by ear... but on my trumpet... I just can't get them to reach the keys!:dontknow: