I Get So Upset

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jul 9, 2011.

1. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    What I learned from the Mexican band was that enough beer makes the band deaf! The giutar players, singer and drummer would crank up the amps a little more after each break when we played at bars -free drinks for the band. By 2 in the morning I was also practically deaf from the amps. At that point what really, really, really, really helped was eight or so hours of silence. (Of course the pay check at the end of the gig did ease the pain a little too.)

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For me, the major advantage to memorizing a piece is being able to stare down the conductor. (tee-hee)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ...stare down the conductor's... what? :evil:

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am assuming were are talking about getting paid in dollars and not pesos, right!

5. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    Yes amazingly in dollars. The Mexican bars we played were in So Cal.

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    in high school [back in the 60s] we had to memorise all half time music [ a new show every game], when in the clown band had to memorise both 1st and 3rd parts [a new 15 minute show each year plus all other tunes we played just to entertain]. now in my 60s I find it very diffacult to memorise music, used to know Stars and Stripes, Banner and other tunes but now it just isn't there. Always used to stand for the last chorus of S&S but would hate to try it now.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    NOW - I am getting so upset at all those people blessed with good memories -- they are making the rest of us look bad ROFL

8. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    Cleavage? :evil:

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Anyone can memorize 5 minutes worth of music if you play it every day over and over.

However, when you play regularly with a couple big bands, a quintet, a rock band and a church choir, that's approaching 1000 arrangements.
    Yep, that's me. Do I memorize? Nope, only the stuff I know "accidentally" because I've played it a lot and its easy can I play without music.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Oh, Heavens! I had to play The Stars and Stripes, Forever! forever it seems and it was my solo trumpet rendition of it that got me in the high school band while I was still just having started 8th grade. I probably played it better then than I can presently.
    Our instrumental music instructor and High School Band Director was Dr. Walter H. Cameron who had been cornetist 1926-31 with Sousa's second commercial band.

Not long before my late brother died, we got in a hot discussion about it and I said I wouldn't play it again because I didn't have or know how to play a C piccolo, but possibibly could transpose that piccolo part for a piccolo trumpet and could then play it if I had one. About 2 weeks before my late brother died, he sent me my Schilke P5-4 which may not have been new, but looked and played like it was. My saddest regret is that my brother did not live long enough to listen to my rendition as I performed on all my brass horns. That rendition was made before I encountered major dental and health issues.

I am irked by the U.S. Marine Corps Band rendition where they crescendo basses and drums in the finale to totally wipe out the reprise of the piccolo part. Sousa didn't write such a crescendo!

Lately, I listened to the following as presents a superior rendition than that of the USMC Band or my own:

YouTube - ‪Flash Mob at Cape Cod Stop and Shop - Spirit of America‬‏