I Get So Upset

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    When I play it's a very intuitive thing. Perhaps because of my early exposure to Bix, Louis and Jabbo Smith and 78's in general I think in those terms and react rhythmically, melodically and timewise as they would. We are all influenced bysome externals and that is reflected in how we improvise, phrase and carry the beat.

Sometimes I'll be totally legato like Bix and concentrate on my tone. Other times I channel Louis and bend notes and slur to get my point across. Once again, like Jabbo I'll slur from low to high....Depends how I feel.

One thing. Long practice and playing with others has enabled me to do this with varying success.

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    My wife definitely has a better memory than mine for music, but then again she grew up in a Chinese educational system and they highly value rote memorization. I will surprise her every once and a while though, and since I have made a point to start memorizing things she has noticed that my memory in general has improved, especially for learning Mandarin, and she seems impressed that I can figure out the grammar and string together sentences so easily. Her aptitude/willingness to attain technical proficiency is much less than mine. She will recite dozens of songs on flute, but at the bare minimum of tone. She seems completely unwilling to learn the nuances of harmonics, chordal tones, or technical details about the instrument she plays.

BTW, I'm going to pretend like I never read that dishes thing :-P

3. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Ivan, I completely agree with you. When I was playing in high school there was no emphasis on memorization (except scales) but a lot of emphasis on reading. Now in my comeback days I am devoting more time to playing without the printed page. Every day I spend a few minutes playing by memory from a growing collection of tunes and orchestral excerpts.

Another aspect of playing that I knew nothing of in high school was singing the music. I think this is closely related to memorization because both techniques require the pitch to come from the mind rather than the instrument. Singing the page is a great exercise to really pinpoint the trouble notes right away. Singing helps to remove the crutch of relying on the instrument to provide the correct pitch, just as memorization helps to remove the crutch of over reliance on the page.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    And doesn't everybody play their warmup each day without dots?

5. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Exactly. If you can't sing it, you can't play it.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Is it your premise that trumpet players should 1) have every Sousa march/popular piece memorized, or 2) trumpet players should be able to play a section of a part (in this case Stars and Stripes) by memory when asked by a conductor?

If it's 1 then I would disagree. Too many different styles and too many pieces out there to relistically expect people to play from memory on command.

If it's 2 then I agree.

7. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    It is my premise that teachers should encourage their students to be able to play music without relying on printed sheets.

Further, Stars and Stripes is the most popular Sousa march for these occasions, with piccolo players standing, and trumpet players standing to play the melody. I would hope that this melody could be engraved in the memory of all trumpet players who habitually perform in these concerts.

We're talking about the tune here, not some inaccessible contrived harmony.

8. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    Anyone have an idea why this is? I play piano as well, an not having a piece memorized either disqualifies you from performing or looses you marks in music festivals. Yet, as vern points out, I've never had to play anything from memory on the trumpet.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The computerfiles amongst us would recognise this as being a valid description of the difference between volatile and non-volatile memory. If your wife tells you that you've had too much to drink, and you have another, she may just express her displeasure and you will forget the episode completely - this is volatile memory. However - ten years down the track, and a similar instance occurs - she will remind you that you ALWAYS drink too much and cite all the times you have, in chronological order - this is non-volatile memory :oops:.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Your wife or girlfriend may not forget, but you hope they will forgive, although they will seldom tell you so. My present wife and I will have been married 44 years this August and there have been instances I'd rather wish she would forget entirely, but I know deep in my soul she hasn't, even though none (that I can remember) has she brought up again since.