I Get So Upset

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jul 9, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That's part of the exitement of the relationship Ed, what new and unusual foible of mine will she suggest I still have THIS week :dontknow:.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    In regards ti why string players memorise and brass players have music... if you were a band director which instrument would you rather have hit a clunker in a concert?
    Playing in a top forty band in the 70's all the pieces were memorised ,,, just something you had to practice .... the most difficult aspect of memorising for me was accidentally kicking into relative pitch playing and then hitting a spot where I would lose the interval... after that is was a train wreck...
    Great thread Ivan... if the directors mandated at least a piece each semester starting in grade school it would a non-issue by high school. Maybe that's something these state competitions should require..one piece memorised..

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Memorization is like any other physical part of playing, it’s about turning on the muscle that controls that particular activity. Everybody has the ability to memorize, some may do it easier than others but none the less we all have the ability. It’s all about dedication factor. How good do you want to be, some people don’t care if they play into their stands, or are in tune or need the dots. I guess I’m old school, memorization of music was not an option for me while growing up. It was part of learning to be a musician, and has stuck with me. I don’t know how long I’ve known them but I know all the trumpet and cornet parts to stars and stripes top to bottom by memory, like has been stated before by trumpetsplus, is the national march of the United States and needs to be played the way it was written, with feeling. Playing along with the dots in this song is like wearing under ware that’s too small, it just gets in the way : ). Just my opinion. :-)

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Nice one. ROFL

5. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
  6. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    This is a neat thread.

In reading, letters are a means of expressing bigger, more meaningful ideas. Young students first "learn to read" and then "read to learn".

The same holds true in music. In the beginning, much of our time as teachers of music is spent teaching the math and syntax of musical notation as it applies to the students' instrument. Key signatures, fingering, counting and intonation take precedence over embouchure and breath support. This is because without an attack on how to deal with the dots and sticks, the student is limited. The printed page is the only way we get to meet Mr. Sousa, so reading is a big deal. The page is all we have in respect to meeting Beethoven or Bach.

Reading music and making music might not be the same thing. In college, we had to memorize literature in order to free our minds from the decoding and calculating that occurs as we decipher the page thus, enabling us to feel and express the music at a deeper level. Memorizing isn't necessarily playing by rote, though it can be. Memorization at a performer/artist level usually means musical performance.

As for those trumpet players who stood up to play the final strain of the Stars and Stripes Forever, how unfortunate for the "music" that they were addicted to the page, and buried their bells in their stands while trying to read it. Too bad, they didn't do their homework and get it internalized such that they only needed the page for reference. That sort of negated the whole idea of standing up, didn't it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  8. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    I agree, I think it was Maynard who said that long ago all the concert halls had an exit sign in the center at the opposite end of the stage. He said that he always played to the exit sign.
    Funny, I have been doing the same thing for years.
    Hold that horn high and let the sound be heard.

9. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    We all know how to drive a car (well, most of us). If we had to think about everything that we did, we might not get out of the driveway. Certain elements become, through repetition, automatic. This is why we memorize. If we don't have to think about what we're playing, we can then think about how we're playing it. "Inner Tennis" teaches us to "let it happen". Through memorization (aka., internalization), the notes can happen and our conscious attention can be place on musicality. "Inner Tennis" also teaches that, try as we might, we can't really "make it happen" - if you've never hit it in rehearsal, it is unlikely that you'll hit it in performance. Thus, worry (or fear) act as a detriment to our performance; removing our focus on "the music" and shifting it to "the notes" or worse, "technique". William Revelli said often that he hated notes and loved music. Hmmm.

10. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    That video looked like a lot of fun.

Your fingers SHOULD be moving along with the melody, taping out the notes as it plays along. Unless your entire trumpet life is playing obscure jazz, this is more than a "just a standard" and should be known. I bet most people here do movements from Haydn or Hummel from memory as part of their normal routines, but complained on this thread about the difficulties of memorization.

The OP described observations of seeing a trumpet section fail when playing Stars and Stripes. But this also really demonstrates a lack of leadership - where's the band director/conductor? Or are they so buried in their own black dots not to see, in probably every rehearsal, what the trumpets were doing?