I Get So Upset

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jul 9, 2011.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Some of these posts really make me chuckle.

Some of you apparently think people don't memorize their literature because they are just lazy or don't "know how"? That's a hoot.

When you become a part of a group that is hired to play 60 - 90 minutes at a concert or 3 or 4 hours at a dance drawing from a library of hundreds of songs it isn't because you are lazy or ignorant that you haven't memorized the music, its because you are a
    human not a computer!

And if memorization was such an important practice why the heck do symphony players
    use music?

Too bad Manny doesn't post anymore, I'd love to hear what he says about this.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Well, doesn't everyone know it goes:
    "Be kind to your web-footed friends. For a duck may be sombody's mother.
    Be kind to your friends in the swamp, where the weather is very, very damp...

Oh - not THOSE dots! Sorry.

3. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    You're right, gzent, some of these are pretty funny, but I have a couple of comments on your post.

Some people in this thread have self-identified as having trouble memorizing. Others are clearly lazy, as in the example described in the OP.

I don't think this is the kind of music being described. There is no reason to memorize an entire book of music, or an entire concert's material. But I know when I have done dance stuff (fake book/ensemble work), the numbers that I know well give me more flexibility to play around - I'm not so concerned about what's on the page or where the song is going - I know it!

But usually the soloist (or ensemble lead) that takes to the front of the symphony doesn't read from music. That's how this started. Sometimes it's a good idea to memorize and play to the back of the room, not the stand.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Many thousands of trumpet players are members of bands who play dances etc.and who would not know what to do with even a music stand at these functions. Of course, when playing intricate big band arrangements from a large library, the music is necessary - though, as I understand it, not allowed in "name" bands on the road

Symphony players may use music is to achieve absolute precision in a work which they may only have seen a few times - however these same players do not use music when performing concertos. Nor do most of them use music when warming up. I have not seen the Canadian Brass reading music.

As a reminder, my point was about one melody (not the entire march, nor the entire trumpet repertoire) which to me (an immigrant) is as American as Apple Pie.

It is not my intention for this discussion to go along the lines of good versus bad - memorists(?) on one side and occulists(?) on the other! Rather I would like to remind players that it is not always necessary to hide your face in the dots. It can be really fulfilling to proudly look to the audience whilst playing some of this country's musical heritage.

There has been some illuminating discussion so far. Thank You all.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    But how do you rhyme "damp" with "swamp"?:dontknow:

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I can name 3 huge acts that ALL use music for the sidemen, Harry Connick Jr.,
    Brian Setzer and Big Bad VooDoo Daddy and that's just the ones that pop into my head.

Although memorizing solos for "frontmen" is cool and makes for a more memorable performance, I'm just saying that the (false) attitude woven in this thread implies that
    memorizing is a necessary or lost art.

Take a look at vintage clips of big bands - plenty of them are using their books.
    If not why did they bother to have those cool band fronts?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    "Four Score and seven years ago ..."
    "Oh say can you see ..."
    "Somewhere over the rainbow ..."

Actors and actresses become very adept at memorizing their script ... including sudden re-writes.

If it was essential that I memorize my part in a song, I believe I could still do it.

My concern is why I can still remember the 4 nonsense syllables given each in the class individually by my freshman college psychology professor just before Christmas vacation. I was the only one in the class as remembered them when we returned to class in January. Too, I still can quote the Miranda Rights and the last time I had to was over 35 years ago. Really these are the consequence from 3 separate legal cases, Mapps, Escobedo, and Miranda ... why do I remember these cases? Now I need to dump obsolete memory or get a memory upgrade, particularly my RAM as then I might now be able to play 1 / 64th notes in 2/8 time. Tell me why my college instrumental music instructor asked me to do this? Did you discern this was only a normal 1/32 note as would be found in in 4/4 time? Again, I was the only one in class that played it correctly.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wo' jongguen bu how

that's what I remember from my "trying" to learning Mandarin - all to impress my friend -- and she wasn't impressed --- how sadROFL

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I can proudly say that I've got Taps memorized:lol::roll::oops:

Basically I'm a dots reader, got too much other crap stuffed into this old memory bank, and getting new stuff to stick is very difficult anymore:dontknow::oops:

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ivan, pronoun "damp" as domp:lol::roll::oops: