I Get So Upset

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jul 9, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OK -- sure I can remember The Star Spangled Banner (well most of the time) then there is the question of do you flow with the music or play THAT song straight forward?

But I digress --- actually I remember a couple people who come to mind who did flow with the music, had everything apparently committed to memory or were so adapt at their music craft that they could pick songs out of the air. --- the latter is a more accurate description. Mac Davis and Barry Manilow

Anyways Mac Davis appeared on tv -- with a comedy show probably in the mid to late 70's --- and would make up songs from the audience suggestions -- or play a song on the guitar and sing it also

Equally as talented -- Barry Manilow would appear on shows -- probably in the mid 80's and do similiar requests -- not from just his hundreds of songs he wrote -- but also audience requests --

that always fascinated me -- not that they could make up a song, or play one they had written, but also play and sing songs that were not their own.

Anyways -- sing and play an instrument -- always fascinates me!!!!!!!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've yet to see / hear a bugler sound Taps who hasn't memorized it. Can you play it in concert key of G Major on your Bb trumpet so that you'll blend in a duet with bugler using a U.S. Regulation bugle in G? Yes, I know at ANG they now use bugles in Bb.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

5. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    Having grown up in northern Washington State, the other solution is to pretend you're Canadian and rhyme swamp with damp (or amp).ROFLROFLROFL

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Wonderful!

Thank you!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Interesting thread.

If we look at school systems worldwide, we DO see some that still place emphasis on memorizing or learning by rote.

I firmly believe that the american school system has left this process because it has become more involved with teaching the kids decent behaviour than increasing their knowledge. I really get a case when learning by "rote" is criticized. There are simply things in life that "some" do not understand, but still "need". The resistance to "having" to learn something is so great and the excuses on why that shouldn't work are too great for my liking.

We all can memorize things. It just has to be important. That means priorities establish the need. I was in the McDonalds All American Band years ago - no one there balked at memorization. I'll bet the DCI bands are equally as tough - don't want to memorize - no problem - GO HOME.

Lack of priorities and a weak understanding of education are the reasons. Let's not beat around the bush.

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    986, :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::grouphug::oops::play: