I got a gig!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John P, May 22, 2007.

1. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    Ok, this isn't a huge deal as the pay isn't fantastic, but I got a 2 month pit orchestra gig down at Shenandoah Conservatory playing for their summer music theatre program. It's not the most prestigious thing in the world, but it means I don't have to flip burgers for the summer. From the way things sound, this is a great chance for me to get my reading chops up. The first show is 5 days after I move in on campus!

We'll be playing Thouroughly Modern Millie, Little Me, Evita, and Bye Bye Birdie. I've never heard the music from any of these shows, anyone know if the book's any good?

Come see a show this summer if you're in the Winchester, VA area.

Summer Theatre

2. JunkyT

JunkyT Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Congrats, John!

Now, stop being so modest about it and start feeling GREAT that you don't have to flip burgers this summer. ANY job in music is better than ANY job at McCrapper, as far as I'm concerned.

Have a blast!

3. Khora

Khora Piano User

Sep 17, 2006
    New York
    I don't know Little Me at all, but the books for Millie, Evita and Birdie are all good. Lots to play. Not ridiculously high parts, but it will keep you in shape!
    make sure you bring all your mutes.

Congratulations - have a fantastic time.

4. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I got my masters degree at Shenandoah U. You will have a great time and you will enjoy meeting Scott Nelson if you havent already. He is a good guy.

Have fun

5. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I saw Scott perform with the faculty brass quintet the day I auditioned. What a sound! I don't think I heard a single chip or frack during the whole concert. I'll have to see if I can get a couple lessons with him while I'm there.

6. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Scott is a great player, and Karl Rowe (the other guy in the quintet) is no slacker either. He was principal trumpet with the Presidents own USMC Band for 23 or so years. He is also a monster player. You will get some great experience with those guys.

7. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    Karl sounds like a million bucks as well. He can definitely put out some volume when he wants to.

I won't actually be attending the school, I'll be going to Indiana University of Pennsylvania in the fall. But I just emailed Scott to see if I can get a couple of lessons with him if he's in town.

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Big time Congrats John!!

A big thing indeed and your joy shines through your words.

Happy Day,

Richard Oliver

9. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    John-That is great! I do not know the books, except I did perform with the pit orchestra for Evita when I was an undergraduate music student at Ball State University. The book was memorable and fun. Have a great time!

Janell

10. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    congratulations!!!!!!