i got a pen stuck in my trumpet!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by amr67644, Dec 14, 2008.

1. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

Through the first valve casing.... Solar has the best advice yet though... the receipt will serve as a great reminder!

2. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

Bingo!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nothing worse than a droped pen in the bell. Changes the bore size, intonation and slotting. Maybe this is a recipe for the next Frankentrumpet!

If the pen is stuck, it wasn't dropped. There must have been more force involved. In any case, players that get pens stuck should NOT try to get the pen out. The problem can only get worse. This is one of the jobs of a good teacher. If you don't have one, then go to the repair shop.

4. amr67644

amr67644 New Friend

Sep 7, 2008
    District of Columbia
    Thank You very much Caeden. I just tried what you said and it worked. Now my trumpet sounds normal and i have my new pen back. In addition, I am no longer worried about it. You had the best advice of anyone who posted.

5. amr67644

amr67644 New Friend

Sep 7, 2008
    District of Columbia
    _

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sorry to hear that your relationship with the teacher is not "optimal". That probably would be a great thing to dedicate a New Years resolution to! Could end up making you a better player too!

I am a very strong advocate of teacher/student cooperation. Quite often they are proof that 1+1 can be much more than 2. That is something that math and sports have never accomplished!

7. amr67644

amr67644 New Friend

Sep 7, 2008
    District of Columbia
    If I had wanted to take it to my teacher, then I would not have posted. I got it out now though so I am content.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Amazing!! The truth is written here. It is called synergy.

In the best student/teacher interactions, both learn, and both teach.

9. amr67644

amr67644 New Friend

Sep 7, 2008
    District of Columbia
    It is not that I have a bad relationship with my teacher (I have good relationships with all of my teachers). I just didn't want to have to explain to him why there was a pen stuck in my trumpet. He probably would be disappointed in me for not being more careful. Also, I keep my good trumpet at school and I would have to take my other trumpet (the one that had a pen stuck in it) to school, and then both of my trumpets would be at school.

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    When I was running a shop, I took a Yamaha 6345 on trade, the thing played horribly. I thought that it couldn't be the horn. so I ran a dent ball through the bell from the bell tail (through the first valve cylinder) and out popped a pencil stub that was stuck in the bell crook. I played that horn for a few months after. Try a lead sinker, one just small enough that it will drop freely through a valve slide. Remove the first valve, hold the horn with the bell pointing up and slide the sinker to the bell hole in the 1st valve cylinder. Put a cleaning rod with a rag on it in the cylinder so the sinker can't fall out and then shake the sinker around the bend against the object. If it doesn't pop out easily, take it to a repairman because the sinker could start hammering the bell from the inside.