I got an Audition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Finally, I might have found a way to "Work" through college. I have an audition on April, 26th for an orchestra. They are paying, and will start out having practices once a week. Now they are only pay per performance, but still, some pay is better than none.

Do you think Arbans Characteristic study #1 would be good for an audition piece?

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I don't think so, do they have a list? If not and you want to do an etude I would do a Charlier.

3. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I just asked what they were looking for in auditions and if they and if they had a list.

A little more about the Orchestra, it will be a small 12-15 person orchestra, which means i have a small chance at being able to do solo performances :D.

The Organization starting the orchestra is called Com Productions. I don't know anything about them, so if any of you guys do, i'd love to hear it hah. I'll let you know what I'm playing for sure once I hear back from them.

4. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Ok, he just told me no list. Be Original, bring what you have... hmm

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Arban Study no. 1 is treacherous though no? :)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Too ambitious is as dangerous as not ambitious enough. IF you have Arban 1 really down, there is probably no problem, but I think for auditions they are looking for more standard things like the Haydn, Hummel, Tomasi, and recently Charlier.

7. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    do you have any orchestra excerpt books? If so, Ballerina Dance (from Petrouchka) is one of the very common excerpts that orchestras tend to ask for.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I found the group on Craig's List, of all places, and it appears they are looking for a sort of Cabaret orchestra, to back a group of 12 singers/dancers. These groups can be a great deal of fun and great experience; unfortunately they can end up in huge debt before the first season is half-way over, leaving the performers penniless. This involves some risk on your part. The other danger is that sometimes greedy capitalistic producers will go so far as to require the performers to do crazy things like buying their own coustumes. Please be wary--violists may be evil, but some management folk are downright evil.

In any case, the Arban should be fine.

9. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Thanks Volgano, If they ask me to buy anything i'll turn them down. The only think I"m worried about is the condition of my horn, but I'm sure I can change there minds the second after I start playing.

Now I have Arbans 1 down... ok... but Do any of you guys have Uploaded files of any other good audition pieces? I would love to give Ballerina Dance a shot

10. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    What do you guys think about Erik Veldkamps Upper Register Etude?

The Pieces I have on paper are the

Arutunian

The Finale of the Hummel - Trumpet Concerto in Eb Major

The Entire First Suite in Eb

Concerto in Eb By. J.B.G Neruda

Thats about all I have that I could think would be acceptable for auditions

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008