I got my copy of arbans.....now what?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by scrap, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Someone did...;-)

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Worth repeating.

Mike

3. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    In my opinion one should start at page #1! I do it every year!

4. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    No offense meant, Dale. In too much of a hurry.:cool:

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    No offense taken, for sure. Great minds think alike, right? :D

6. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Now I'd settle for "good"; never really was great. But think alike? Oh, yes!

7. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Like everyone else, just ask your director. If he is the type of person that doesn't know what he's talking about, ask a private teacher or someone else. (But not one of your peers) When I got my arbans book I went through it page my page, if I couldn't do what was infront of me up to tempo, that was what I worked on. In clarkes book he even said to not waste time doing things you find easy =D

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Carrying it in all kinds of weather, and it being pre-owned prior, my first copy got so worn the pages started dropping out and I'm sure some were lost. Still, I got it for nothing when I was a sophmore in high school and still had it my second year in college (or at least most of it). When I began my comeback, I purchased a new one ... the platinum edition that included a CD that listening to, I finally realized what was expected and now many years later I'm not avowing that I've achieved what is expected, but I'm near putting his variation of Carnival of Venice under my belt (I do believe that was among the lost pages in my first copy, it must have been because I hadn't played it previously.) Just about weekly I'm now practicing something from it and to be sure it is available whenever I've a trumpet in my hand as it has a permanent resting spot in my music case. As a conservatory publication, IMO it is quite a bit much for a first time beginner on trumpet but an asset one cannot do without when they are an established player to maintain their optimum capability. I may call some of my practice schedule "routines" but much of such is from this source albeit memorized.

9. Flugellover

Flugellover New Friend

Dec 20, 2011
    This is what I use (I mostly use mine for technical playing):

Sound/music interpretation ~p.106 #44-47
    fast slurs/lip trills ~42 #18-26
    fast scales ~17 #28-50
    Fast intervals~125
    Multiple tonging ~175
    14 Characteristic studies

10. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    If you can find it you might look into the prescott method and someone that can aid you in how to properly follow it. When I first picked my trumpet back up there were a number of things that I worked on with a private instructor. I asked this same question about doing something in the Arbans and a method to follow and he mentioned the prescott's method. It was a great method and effectively was written out in a 2 year long plan of how to progress a student through the Arbans manual. Typically I would say that there are different sections that work on different techniques and then increase in difficulty based on the range or key signature as an example.

I printed off information from it and then would practice a group of 10-12 various exercises and then check them off as I progressed and move up to the next set of sections and exercises. From a sense of progress it is always motivating to have a plan mapped out that you can see your progress.