I got my first horn!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zack Pomerleau, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Nice job Big Lebowski ROFL

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Your parents rock and so do you! If you learn to play as well as you write (quite unusual for someone your age) you will be a terrific player! Keep that attitude and you cannot go wrong.

3. Zack Pomerleau

Zack Pomerleau Pianissimo User

Oct 6, 2008
    Thanks everyone! It's been awesome! First off, someone mentioned (like myself) mentioned grease and such, any recommendations? It actually came with two bottles of oil, not sure the name, can't remember this second. I think it needs to be greased though. I'll need to watch videos on how to grease it, etc. as I have no idea how to do that.

Ed, I noticed the brand being there with "Made in USA" so I'll check for that, too! It seems very nicely made. It actually came with a snake and it looks very well maintained so maybe it's usable? Apparently the lady has a son and when he was in 8th grade he wanted to play but now he wants drums and a car!

Comeback: I will pick up a mute, it'll be a must! I'll be practicing those fingerings, too!

Culbe: Hot Cross Buns rules! I'm glad I got such a nice horn, it's awesome! Thanks man!

SteveRicks: They sure are awesome and you can bet I did, they did a lot to get it! Thank you for helping with recommendations and such!

Gendreau: Sounds like fun, they all look cool! I never expected it the mouthpiece to be so heavy. Pretty sweet!

Dviglis: I try man, I try :lol:

Veery: Thanks man! And they sure do! I am taking Composition soon, and Arranging, but right now all the Theory classes. So it all synchs up. I think it'll help a lot.

4. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Congrats on your new trumpet! I'm glad it all worked out for you and you've got a great horn!!! :thumbsup:

5. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Some good info to get you started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7amjgygKefc

There are many great lubricants that you can use including; Hetman's, Ultrapure, Yamaha, and many more. Don't switch between products without cleaning off previous oil as different oils can sometimes react and cause valves to be sluggish.

6. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
  7. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I would recommend DO NOT perform the step that the guy does in the video with WIRE BRUSH on the slide tubes and casings as this may cause damage!!!!

8. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Thanks for the video! I watched another one where they clean it like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oG-e9nh31w

Any of you guys know if they make cleaning kits with stuff like that? I figure I should figure out how to take it apart then clean it.

9. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
  10. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Great thanks! Okay, so there is some kind of slide grease but the name was rubbed off so I can't read it. Issue is, the slides really aren't moving much if at all. So there's not much chance of taking the horn apart. What should I do to loosen them up since I do have some grease?