I got my first horn!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zack Pomerleau, Dec 25, 2014.

1. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    If the slides don't come out with some gentle pressure, might want to bring it to a music shop were a tech can free them up (usually a relatively inexpensive service).

If you start tugging and pulling too hard, you can pop a solder joint someplace. A tech will know how much pressure to apply and where, and what solvent to use (if needed) to free things up.

2. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    Compare the cost of having it chemically cleaned and having slides played. Usually after a cleaning at the shop, slides and valves will be free. Chemically cleaning is half the price of ultrasonic. Not a bad idea to have purchased trumpet professionally cleaned.

I like Hetmans, Ultra pure valve oils. Blue Juice does have a strong smell, and it does not mix well with Hetmans. What valve oil and slide grease are available in your local shop?

Bach Cr 300 cornet
    Conn Director cornet
    Denis Wick 2 BW cornet mp
    Denis Wick 3 B cornet mps
    Fischer 2 cornet mp

3. Zack Pomerleau

Zack Pomerleau Pianissimo User

Oct 6, 2008
    Good news! The 3rd valve tuning slide moved! Does the 609 have any other slides? It doesn't SEEM like it does? Just looking at it it almost seems like it'd be unable to have other moving parts, they look all fixed.

4. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Each valve has a removable tuning slide.

If they do not come off with gentle steady pressure, they may be stuck from having not been greased in a long time and may need to have a brass tech free them up.

If they move a little, you may be able to work some oil in and free it up.

Videos show how slides should come out,

5. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Okay, I just wasn't sure, thought possibly tis horn didn't have some or something! I'm going to look up videos! I'll grease up the 3rd one, and if I can't get the others loose I'll figure out pricing on cleaning this thing!

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Zack,

Knowing your funds are tight, don't worry about a chem cleaning (I've been playing for 50 years and none of my horns have had one -I just use the bathtub method). You will need to get a cleaning snake. Also, from several posts I am confused if you have a stuck valve slide. If so, get back with us on how to get it loose. Otherwise, you are in good shape. So what mouthpiece are you using? That is the next most important question.

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
  8. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    SteveRicks, the third valve slide had to be pushed a little but then it got going and now it's going good. It seems like it hadn't moved in a bit. The others I must not know what I'm doing! I'm going to look up some videos on how to move them. If I cannot move them I won't mess with it any longer. I wonder if I am even touching the right things at this point! I'm not pushing/pulling to hard, so not to worry. The mouthpiece I'm using is the one it came with, a Bach 7C. I also have a snake, the one it came with. I'll probably buy a new one, might be a little unsanitary using one someone else used, no? I'll look into this bathtub method!

Comeback, reading now!

9. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Thought I'd add to the thread and ask about mutes. ProTec makes some mutes that are relatively inexpensive, including the Compact one (ML203) and the (ML201). Anyone ever used those? I found video of the compact one and it sounds really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS2ftF3owQk Any reason I'd want to get the bigger version?

10. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Not sure on that trumpet, but many trumpets have a screw or other device to keep the 3rd valve slide from falling off as this slide is frequently used to correct intonation as you become a more experienced player. This would need to be loosened or removed to take the 3rd valve slide out completely.

The tuning slide on the 1st and 2nd valves will also come out, as will the main tuning slide which is on the opposite end of the mouthpipe from the mouthpiece.

If slides are stuck, do not bang or tap with anything to loosen. If they don't come out with the pressure of a firm, steady pull, it may be worth bringing to a brass tech who will free these up WITHOUT damaging anything (usually for a very reasonable fee in a matter of minutes). Also check to see that the top and bottom valve caps screw off freely.