I got my first horn!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zack Pomerleau, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Zack Pomerleau

Zack Pomerleau Pianissimo User

Oct 6, 2008
    Robrtx, there is a screw that moves the finger ring, maybe it does that too but it was just stuck at the time?

Regarding the valves, I took the caps off earlier. They came off fine, but only on the top. They look fine inside, too. Very clean. I'll check the bottom, too!

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Bigger is about $9 cheaper than compact on Amazon but both seem well reviewed. I've not tried either personally, I use a Yamaha Silent Brass myself but that system is considerably more expensive. Trade off using any practice mute is back pressure and inability to hear your true tone but you can play when and where you may not otherwise be able to. Best to practice as much as you can un-muted especially while you are developing, but some members here who are teachers can advise on this better than I.......

3. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    A dunking in isopropyl alcohol will take care of any germs on the mouthpiece. Give it 5 minutes, then a good cold water rinse.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Zack, turn the K-B 609 trumpet upside down, so that the bottom of the valves are now topside. Then look along from third valve to the bell flare and you'll find the serial number.

Once I've removed the slides, I thoroughly clean them including the tubing from which the came from. Then I lubricate them with pure liquid lanolin (I don't know of any other trumpeter on this forum that regularly uses lanolin on their slides) For the third valve slide I add a bit of valve oil as I want it as slick as a trombone slide. In fact when I put my instrument away in its case I tie it off with a cloth ribbon so it doesn't accidentally slide and drop to the floor when I next pick up pick up my instrument. I can say one thing about the cleaning videos: I don't like to hold my instrument above the hard surface of a metal or porcelain sink. A soapy solution makes holding thing very slippery!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    DO NOT BUZZ ON THE MOUTHPIECE YET!

You really need to be playing long tones on the TRUMPET. Once you get a degree of proficiency, then perhaps buzzing can provide benefits. When you use the trumpet, the resonance of the whole system supports the lips. When you free buzz or use just the mouthpiece, you are playing well below resonance and your lips are blown outward. You really need to start building habits.

DO NOT BUZZ ON THE MOUTHPIECE YET!

6. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Robrtx: I wasn't sure if size made a difference. I don't really NEED one but thought it'd be good to have one for certain occasions.

Pinstriper, already did that. Was mostly talking about the cleaning snake itself. I suppose I could clean that, too!

Ed Lee, I found it on the valve area. Regarding those, I only could remove one of the bottom caps. The others are tight and I may be weak, but not sure if I should have someone else try or let it be. The 3rd slide is definitely not like on this one, and the other slides are not moving, even with a pull. I don't really think it's worth pulling harder on them so I'll let it be.

Rowuk, thanks for the message. I have been practicing the C scale, and I can hold C and D decently. I'm just struggling to figure out why sometimes when I go to hit notes I hit a lower note or a higher one. Still trying to figure out what in the embouchure causes the note changes. Regardless, it's happening! Too bad, though, it's interesting to buzz, even though I'm sure it bothers around me :D

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Just use the snake that came with it. Pour a little rubbing alcohol over it if you are worried about germs.

Do some web searches and you find plenty of videos on cleaning and disassembling the horn. That will help you know what comes apart.

A 7C is what I always started new players on - and it is probably the first recommendation among teachers for beginners.

As far as slide grease- there are lots of different types. Plain old vasoline will work just fine. I have 4 or 5 different creams but always seem to gravitate back to vasoline. Easy to come by. As long as you have some valve oil that came with the horn you are in good shape. Everyone has their favorite (I use blue juice) but asking which is best is about like asking what is the best trumpet here - 1000 different answers.

8. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Zack, you're not weak, these are common things that happen when a trumpet sits without being lubricated for a long time. It is very likely that a reasonably competent brass instrument repair tech can free these up with relatively little difficulty and with a small cost to you, maybe even while you wait.

The reason I suggest not forcing things yourself is that if pressure is applied improperly it could break something that would require a more costly (and perhaps ugly) solder repair. Also, if something frees up unexpectedly while you are pulling, it could cause you to bang or drop something (which has happened to the best of us ;-)) again causing harm to your new horn.

You can most certainly practice and play with the horn until you can have someone look at the stuck parts, just oil the valves the way it shows in the videos. The oil and grease that came with the trumpet will serve you well until you become familiar with your instrument.

9. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Thanks Steve, I'll do just that! It seems like a nice mouthpiece! I'll definitely watch more videos, but thus far I think I've got it.

robrtx, I figured that. There are no dents or anything that look like it could cause the slides to be fixed in place so I'm sure it's just that, hasn't been greased for months or years! I'll get it looked at and fixed then actually take care of it. I'll start putting some oil in as we speak also. The horn sounds nice (when I can can long tones)! haha.

10. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Follow his advice. He has 17 trumpets and a steve!