I got my first horn!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Zack Pomerleau, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Trust me you are not weak. I have seen some pretty beefed up guys who couldn't get a tuning slide to budge no matter how hard they pulled, or rather as much torque as the braces would allow. The tech will probably use some penetrating oil and it should be done within an hour or two of letting it seep in.

2. Zack Pomerleau

Zack Pomerleau Pianissimo User

Oct 6, 2008
    Dv, good to know! The only one not stuck (other than those caps) is the 3rd valve tuning slide. I actually just greased it up and put some valve oil, too. It's moving great, now! :thumbsup: No idea the grease, it has cursive letters on the front in a squeeze bottle but they were rubbed off. It's very much like vasoline. The oil I used on that and the valves was Blue Juice. The horn came with that and "Interstate Music" branded oil. Considering they both had the same ingredient and the other one had reviews, I went with that one.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Congratulations on your new trumpet. The 609 is a quite capable horn. Now you can play the horn and free buzz much much less. ;-) Whatever you do when playing , DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE PRESSURE to play the notes at the upper limit of your range. Tiring quickly at this stage is normal and this should not discourage you in any way. Use you passion sensibly and you'll progress. Longtones are very important as already mentioned and stay relaxed while playing. Enjoy the ride!!!

4. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Yeah, I find myself stopping a lot just because it's very odd trying to figure out how to breathe. It's very unnatural to me. I know there are some saying not to buzz into the mouthpiece, but by doing so I've found I've been able to find a "sweet spot" if you will, and I can actually get a tone more now. Problem is, a great deal of the time it's not that C, but maybe an F or G (I think it's a low F below the C). I am not really figuring out what causes the note change essentially, if it's lip shape or in the mouth. I've noticed if I pucker I get higher notes but I'm already sensing that's incorrect to do for some reason.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, no one can see you play, so I don't know what you mean by puckering. If you're playing and notes are coming out the horn, your lips are buzzing /vibrating /oscillating. At this point, just play the horn without pressure and pain. Fatigue is not pain. Playing to pain is not smart. Breath just like you exhale. Breathing should be natural and relaxed.

6. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    I just mean lips getting tighter more or less. No pain for sure, just a bit of breathlessness trying to find how to breathe correctly and that numbness in the lips from the buzzing.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Numbness or tingling? Tingling good! Numbness means blood flow has been lost and that's bad.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't overdo it!

9. Zack Pomerleau

Oct 6, 2008
    Tingling! Probably shouldn't be confusing those words :lol:

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008