I Guess I've created a free online masterclass!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Dec 29, 2008.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Folks, I'm almost afraid to post this here because of the number of fine lead players who are members who have NO need of any help from ME! However, in the event that something I might say might help one person, I'll risk getting flamed! ;-) Many already know about my stuff, but until I was working on preparing a package for someone this AM, I didn't realize that I had essentially put an entire master class on Youtbue and my website. Here is the post I'm putting up today. I hope there is something of interest to some folks.

FWIIW, coming from me...

What follows is essentially a FREE master class on modern trumpet techniques. This is being sent out to anyone who might like to work some new ideas to help their class of trumpeters with lead playing in a high school or university setting.

My credentials are listed at my website: Nick Drozdoff :: Home .

Long Tone Warm Up
    YouTube - Long Tones - Sotto Voce

Singing Exercises – Range Expansion in both directions
    YouTube - Singing Exercise from Low Ab to F over double C

Clarke Studies – sotto voce
    YouTube - Clarke Studies - Sotto Voce

Flow Study Discussion #1
    YouTube - Flow Studies

Flow Study Discussion #2
    YouTube - Flow Studies #2

Embouchure Design Revisited
    YouTube - Embouchure Design Revisited

Slurs, Lip Flexibilities, Lip Trills
    YouTube - Flexibility and Trills

Extreme Upper Register Development for Aspiring Lead Players:

Hi Gear – Low Gear
    YouTube - Hi Gear Lo Gear

Hi Gear Part 2 – answering frequently asked questions about this technique
    YouTube - Hi Gear Part Two

Another answer to a FAQ on upper register development High Gear FAQ – Eliminating Pinching
    YouTube - Hi Gear FAQ2

High Gear and high notes on a ring visualizer
    YouTube - Hi-Lo-Gear on Ring Visualizer

How to play a lead players mouthpiece; i.e. how not to bottom out on a shallow mouthpiece.
    YouTube - Fascination/Bottom-out

Breathing for Trumpet:

How the air works in playing trumpet
    YouTube - On Breathing for Trumpet

My techniques put to use:

See if you can see the ideas discussed above put to use in my studio.

Bye Bye Blackbird – Big Band Jazz Arrangement – I play all the brass parts (trumpet and bass trumpet) but the video is of the solo part being overdubbed on a scratch track.
    YouTube - Bye Bye Blackbird - Nick Drozdoff - Trumpet and Brass

C trumpet demo
    YouTube - C Trumpet Demo

I have dozens of other clips on Youtube. At my WEBSITE (Nick Drozdoff :: Home) I have some supporting text surrounding the videos which are embed there on my free online lessons page.

Now this is all available for free ONLINE. I would LOVE to come to your institution to perform and/or teach in person. My contact information is on my webpage, though a reply email is certainly the quickest way to open a dialogue.

Thanks for reading.

Nick Drozdoff

MJ and Schwab like this.
  2. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ

Hey Nick . . . . you won't get any flaming from me. That's some of the best information that I've seen anywhere!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you!!

3. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Hi Nick!

I don't think anyone can find fault with this stuff as you are spot on! Thanks for taking the time to create these and allowing us all to share them with friends, students, etc.

I am a big fan of your playing and teaching and dig your generosity of time and effort with these great and very well done, very informative clips.

Great job!!!

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Nick,

Very good.

Ask the moderator fot THIS forum to make it a STICKY, always at the top, always acceptable.

If not "Ill sticky it in the lounge!

Great idea!

Chuck

5. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Thanks. :)

I'll be watching them all

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Nice series of Vids Nick! Thank you!

7. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Such great stuff! Thanks, Nick!
    -Andrew

8. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I absolutely love you material! As a come back player when I found your material on Ebay I devoured it. I must have spent a few hours listen to what you had say on a great many topics. So thanks very much for all the wounderful information you have put out their. Oh and I love your Bass Trumpet "Little bit of Funky" clip!!!

9. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I really enjoy your videos, you're very informative and thorough, explaining and demonstrating various points. Great job!

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Nick,

The material you put on youtube is great and it is so generous of you to offer it free. I don't think that anybody would want to "flame" you for that. It is so generous of you to put those clips for free. Thank you!