I have 7 months...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by j4k8, Jan 30, 2008.

1. j4k8

j4k8 New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    the band stand
    UNTIL THE NEXT MARCHING SEASON!:-o

I was wondering if any of you had any tips to improve in both marching and trumpet playing?
    I need to work on my range and playing loud.
    I know I have a lot of practice ahead of me and will get lessons soon(which I'm sure will help).

2. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

March everywhere. Also, bring your trumpet with you and play all the time. Um, range.... OK play high'n'low. And LOUD. yeah, that covers it! !

3. jlentini

jlentini New Friend

Apr 21, 2007
    Brigham City, UT
    First thing you must do is make sure your fundamentals are well in place. There are no shortcuts in this endevor. Herbert L Clarke's technical studys are a great place to start. Take these studys and really focus on your quiet playing. When I got a Lesson with Wayne Bergeron, he told me that he couldn't play soft very well, so he talked with the great Malcom Mcnab and he said that he keeps his apeture the size of a pin hole and keeps it very focused. I also took a lesson with Roger Ingram, I have been playing for twenty years and have never been a great high note player, he walked me through the "wedge" breathing and he had me slur octaves but very quietly and without concern of tone. I played to a g# above high C doing this, and he told me from squeeks come notes. have patience...if you want to send me a PM I can talk to you more indepth about some different things to try. By the way within four months of using roger ingrams method, I was playing double c's and my high F'f and G's got more full sound wise. Godd luck and hope to hear from you!
    Jim

misty.sj likes this.
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You do not need to work on "loud". You need to work on "solid" and there is a big difference.

Do a search on big, relaxed breath. Your breathing is the first step in getting solid. Your trumpet teacher should work out a daily routine (if they haven't already) that consists of 1/3 long tones and slurs, 1/3 technical studies (like Clarke or Arban) and 1/3 tunes. Dance classes would be beneficial in getting and keeping the body coordination essential to proper marching.

FORGET THAT STUPID WORD LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!! The volume you generate is based on the condition of your body and chops. Trying to exceed that when on the field just sounds bad AND your sound actually projects LESS when going above your personal limits!

5. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Exactly what Robin said....forget "loud". What you need is the word "support" instead.....breathing. A supported note sounds much better than a blatted flat note played at quadruple forte. Learn to "fill up" your horn....you'll be "loud" enough........chuck

misty.sj likes this.
  6. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Get comfortable with marching fast, with swinging / moving your horn while playing, etc. Build your endurance because it's hard to play when you're out of breath. Try gently jogging in place while playing. I used to do all that stuff when marching trumpet AND mellophone, which is a little more challenging to jog with. :)

7. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    As an ex drum major, I have to agree with rowuk, ccNochops, and misty.sj all have said. Playing loud is not nearly as important as steady and full. As someone who was out front, the last thing I wanted to hear was a loud, unsteady trumpet dropping in and out of play. Endurance and a solid sound are what's needed in any group.

As for the marching , try to find a couple of friends to march with. Staying together is just as important to marching as it is to playing.
    Practicing alone is fine, but having someone next to you to push you is even better.

One more thing. Drink lots of water and apply sunscreen. One bad day can set you back big time. Sunstroke is not something to take lightly.

Have a great time, I know I did !

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
    misty.sj likes this.
  8. j4k8

j4k8 New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    the band stand
    Support!, Support!, Support!

How could I have forgotten?
    Thanks Ill definently replace loud with support