I have a question...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Jan 11, 2013.

1. bachstradivarius

bachstradivarius New Friend

Sep 27, 2012
    KY
    I just received my Yamaha Xeno today and I'm not really sure how I should go about a certain issue. You see I have

three mouthpieces, each one is going to be used to create different sounds that I like. The three mouthpieces in

question are a Bach 3C, a Yamaha 16c4gp and a Schilke 14a4a, I've used both the bach and schilke when I played in

college and in the Active Duty military band before my two year lay off. Any how I really want to become proficient

with all three mouthpieces again should I practice on all three in a single day or a different one each day?

2. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I'd say stick to one mouthpiece until you're back into your comfort zone. I had the choice between the 3C and the 14A4a when I started back a few weeks ago and the consensus was to stick with the 14.

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Are you proficient with any one of the three now? If so, you may find your proficiency translating relatively easily and quickly to the others whenever you want to switch. If not, settle on that one that provides the greatest general satisfaction for you presently and work to regain basic proficiency before working with the others.

Mouthpiece choice by consensus has set some players up for frustration. What works great for one or several players may not work well for you.

If I am not mistaken, many highly accomplished trumpet artists paint a rich and varied tapestry of sound without switching mouthpieces.

Best wishes to you in your efforts.

Jim

tedh1951 likes this.