I have an air leak in my embrochure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 8, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay here's the deal
    I have an air leak where the lips meet right next to the mouthpiece (left side).
    The mouthpiece is centered ... you can see the ring on my lip is spot on.
    I point the horn straight (slightly down as it typical)
    It's there if I play soft or loud.
    I have always had it ... it was so bad in college that the poor guy who sat next to me wore a windbreaker so his shirt wouldn't get soaked.. ( I swear this is true)
    My instructors didn't mess with it because I played just fine with it.
    I just thought I would throw it out to the group to see if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions.
    I can live with it.. it's not the end of the world. It's a long shot.

2. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
  3. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    I had the same problem when i was 7/8 ish. mine was due to really wonky teeth so, my teacher tolf me to keep the corners of my mouth tight while i played. I remember it being hard to begin with but, its good for your playing. practice on long notes and just play around with it. You may find it improves your playing :)

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    it's worth a try ... the tight corners NOT the sealent...I expected to get razzed a bit ...
    thanks Craig ... smart a$#

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The "goo" is non toxic so... . Seriously, I also had a leak and the way I fixed it was played with my Silent Brass mute and playing softly. I could hear and feel the leak and would concentrate on how to shut it down. It takes time but it worked for me.

6. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well, personally I would use Polident.... Seriously, that happened to me several years ago. I was leaking air thru my right side. It was on account of a swelling in my upper lip which I discovered was called a mucocele, essentially a fluid filled swelling. Being the impecunious Scot that I am I proceeded to heat up a pin with a handy Bic lighter and popped it open. Whole passle of clear, mucilaginous gook came out. 2 days later I was happily cracking notes again without the audible hiss.

best of luck!!!!
    I neglected to add that I've always played with sharp, narrow rim mouthpieces, the standard width cushion, I.E. 7C just will not let me focus well.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    interesting ... I will start with tightening the corners during practice ... I just don't want to pinch the sound ..

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I experienced exactly the same thing. In my case, it was bad because the air leaking through the sides was "pushing against the walls" so to speak and preventing me from stabilizing and focusing my aperture. It took me only one time with the silent brass to understand the problem. Another thing that has been really helpful for shaping/focusing the aperture is the pencil exercise.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's an excellent point about the pencil exercise. I do that also but didn't think to mention it.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    what's the pencil exercise?
    also
    I started trying to tighten up the corners while practicing... I am getting very tight and having trouble loosening up ....I think that is the reason I never followed through on it... I hate losing my tone and feeling tight... but since I am not playing any gigs I can afford too right now.. IF the result is no leak and my tone dosen't stay pinched long term.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011