I have an interesting question that maybe some of you guys could answer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Jun 29, 2013.

1. bachstradivarius

bachstradivarius New Friend

Sep 27, 2012
    KY
    Last night after my orchestra rehearsal I was given the priviledge to try out a vintage Bach ,Stradivarius trumpet that was from the 1950's. Upon playing this horn I noticed something that was just puzzling to me. Firstly this particular horns valves were like butter, in fact, it was the best valve action I had ever dealt with even on some of todays newer horns. Secondly this horn was very freeblowing, so freeblowing that it even felt easier to play than my own Yamaha 8335RGS, which up to that point was the most freeblowing I had ever played on. Back in the 1990's I had a Bach Stradivarius that was made around the 1990s and it was nowhere near as easy to play nor did it sound so sweet to play. My question is just what did those designers back during those days do those particular horns that make them so sweet and a blessing to play? You would think that with today's technology they could create something that would just trump all that but as it would seem that just isn't the case. I am truly convinced that they do not make them like they used to. Any comments?

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Just my friendly 2 cents.

I'm not saying there isn't something special about some older horns. But I wonder if we don't make too much of the concept that they don't make them like they used to.

If someone compared a Schilke B1 to a B7, and concluded that B1 was more freeblowing, they wouldn't lament that Schilke dropped the ball on the B7, would they? They're 2 different horns with different specs. The differences between your 1950 and 1990 Bach could easily be because they had different specs (bore, bell, etc).

Mike

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It's THAT horn. They varied widely. So to assume vintage horn? Probably not useful.

There may well be any number of vintage horns that might make you happy, but you can't assume.

Tom

4. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Come off it! We're all chasing old horns because they have that je ne sais crois that modern horns don't.

They had SOUL like today's horns don't!

5. Inkwolf

Inkwolf Pianissimo User

May 26, 2013
    In fifty years, people will be probably buying our 'today's' horns and saying the same. Maybe a trumpet just needs some age and history.

6. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    They just need geezers who can't remember how much it sucked back in the day.

Tom

7. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    In some ways it is the difference between classical music two hundred years ago and classical music now. The older horns that survived to the present were the very good ones. The trumpets that were not as "good" were discarded into the trash bin of history. And the ones that survived were well taken care of, and serviced, too.

Given fifty years, or so, I'm sure the surviving horns of the current manufacturers will add their own mystic.

8. linktrek

linktrek New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Palm Bay,FL
    I have to chime in a boast alittle bit about my $99 Chinese trumpet. Best trumpet I ever played. Better than my Selmer Radial!

9. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You know, it's kind of funny, I have a knack for buying horns with worn-out valves. But I'm ok with that; after they're rebuilt you know that they're tight... and if they're worn out, you know that horn was loved and played a lot.

Tom

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I echo Tom's sentiment here. You got a good one. That's all. Bach's from that era varied in quality, one horn to another. Tradition, folklore, and faded memories have left many with the impression that any old Strad is a great horn. Before the move to Elkhardt, it was a roll of the dice as to whether your Strad was a good one or not. Ironically, quality improved after the move and Conn and Selmer craftsmen were hired to build the new Strads. :D