I have an interesting question that maybe some of you guys could answer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachstradivarius, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I think this is so true, I don't care how much you automate or assembly-line the process many tasks are still hand done and that means humans have their hands in it and there will be variances. I remember Vulgano Brother (I think) making the comment "move the bell brace a 1/4' one way or the other and you have a different horn". The simple fact of more solder on a joint on one horn over another could make a difference.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Is it that some of the newer instruments have not been "broken in" as in played long enough for the "driver" to have become totally familiar with. IMO an instrument that is harder to blow helps strengthen the player. Even very small children can "lift a one pound hand weight and such is beneficial to them, but from the teen age years and up, nearly useless.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I remember talking to an even older trumpet player than I about NY and Mt. Vernon Bach horns. He said that everyone seems to think that everything that came out of the NY and Mt. Vernon factories were magical--they weren't. About the same percentage of the bad horns that come out of Elkhart came out of those factories. However over the years they were fixed or scrapped or somehow got taken out of the mix. And today (this was 25 years ago) pretty much all the horns that are left are the best examples of the craft. I'm sure the same can be said about other "legendary" horns.

For instance, my Recording Olds had the worst valves I have ever seen. The plating wore through in a couple of years and gave me trouble all through high school. In fact, the valves were one of the reasons I got a new horn when I headed to college. For me buttery smooth and Olds just didn't go together.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You should check out the Artisan Bachs... I found that they play pretty much like an early 70's and a Mt Vernon Strad.. well at least to the ones I have owned and played. The new 37 Strad did not impress me.. not a bad horn just not as smooth as the other ones.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    They did... and I'll put my money into SOUL any day!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, They will still be buying the horns of the 40's and 50's.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Toyota robots in 50 years will be saying "I wish they built horns like they did in the early 2,000s.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Better get a serum lead level checked!