I have an old horn of yours

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by fundenlight, Aug 27, 2005.

1. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    Mr. Carrol-
    A while ago I picked up a horn that was reported to be used by you at one time. It is a Bach 229 C trumpet with a tuneable bell and Malone MC2 pipe. I'm not really sure if it really is yours, but it's a great horn nevertheless.

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Hi F'light

That sounds like a horn that I sold to Marek in NYC a year or so ago.

Tuning bell trumpets have certain advantages and disadvantages, but I always like having one around (currently a terrific Spada C that belonged to Balazs Nemes -- principal trumpet of the Frankfurt Radio Orchestra and a wonderful player).

Treat it well for at least 3 hours per day :)

Best,
    EC

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    What is a Spada? Never heard of it...

4. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
  5. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    mmcc,

René Spada (www.spadamusic.ch) has a shop in a small Swiss village near Bern and has specialized, for many years, in disassembling trumpets ordered from Elkhart (a brand which will remain nameless as I don't want to engage in the sort of trumpet bashing that can be found elsewhere online. Let's simply say a great design that often suffers from mass production?) and finishing them properly by hand.

He converts many of these custom trumpets (my horn in question happens to be a Bach valve section with a Blackburn bell and leadpipe/tuning bow) into tuning bells.

Jouko Harjanne has played René 's trumpets for years, as do many other European soloists (Giuliano Sommerhalder pops quickly to mind -- boy, there's a talent)

Best,
    EC

6. chrisvenditti

chrisvenditti New Friend

Aug 17, 2005
    Giuliano

Hey,

I had the opportunity to play next to Giuliano Sommerhalder a few summers ago at Interlochen. It was an eye opening experience for me. He seems to be really well known across Europe(especially Germany) buy not so much here in the USA. For those of you who don't know him check out his website: http://www.giulianosommerhalder.com/ Click on sound clips, then click on the 4th cd. I have never met anyone that can play well at 17. Enjoy...

Chris

7. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Chris,

We had Giuliano at Lake Placid when he was 15. Trust me when I say that he had the same technique then.

:-o

Best,
    EC