I have asthma should i still play the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by longmvu, Nov 25, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way, I too have moderate persistent asthma, and am well controlled on flovent. I have NEVER had a performance problem as a result of my asthma. Never missed a practice session, never missed a gig, and asthma has NEVER been a reason that I have not achieved a 100% quality performance. Staying on controller medication and following the Asthma Care Guidelines has been the reason for this outcome.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I guess I could blame it on my new baby, keeps me up to 2 in the morning both nights since the blessed arrival:

Attached Files:

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    One more try: Here is a pic of my new baby that keeps me up until 2 am:

MartinCommitteeRtView.jpg

If the picture does not come out, I am sorry as I tried photobucket 10 times. The baby's name is Martin, and while to me he's only 2 days old, he was actually born in 1946 and took an entire Committee to reproduce this creation.

Attached Files:

4. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello,That is how I got started in Band. I have Asthma,and it was my local Doctor that suggested to my parents. To enroll me in the School band program and learn to play a wind instrument. I chose the Trumpet and my Sister went with the Clarinet.

My Doctor assured my parents,that learning to play a wind instrument would help build up my lung capacity. He was correct, over time I got in much better health,and was also able to play FootBall. Played on the line as a Defense and Offence Right Guard. Kick off and Punt Return team. Played all four quarters.

So yes, Trumpet playing is great for the lungs with or not with Asthma. Good luck

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    That new baby is sure to keep you up late many more nights Gary. These never get to make proper nights...

6. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    I don't have Asthma, but my respiratory system tends to need strengthening (trying to stay positive about how I word it). One of the main reasons for me returning to trumpet is for respiratory purposes....so....in a word....Yes....you should play.

7. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    My brother hads asthma and he still played the trumpet and did well in track and cross country. Now his asthma is gone.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yeah - I am getting older -- should I play the trumpet???? the answer must be YES!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

wow Doctor Mike, you should check out GM's spelling, that is even worse --- ooops one Dr. to another Dr. on spelling!!!!!!! -- hey at least the pfarmasysts kan dezipher your splling, and that is all that matters ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    That's why we have bad handwriting. So no one can tell we can't spell. :-)

Mike

10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I have asthma and have suffered with it all my life, though it wasn't actually diagnosed until I was 19 years old. I'm not going to say it has never effected my practice or performance--it has. There are days when I hit my inhalers far more often then I should to get through a practice or performance. It has forced me to make concessions in phrasing and my ability to hold long sustained notes. It has even effected my range. However I have learned to use air much more efficiently than most of the trumpet players I know. Even today, with a lung capacity that consistently tests at about 75% of normal I can still make it through 8 and 12 bar phrases most of the time. I've also had to learn how to sneak a quick breath in every 2 bars on bad days. I am not saying any of this to discourage you rather encourage you to keep going--to learn, to adapt and to overcome. You can be as successful as you want to be despite this problem. And as others have mentioned--it's great respiratory therapy for the long haul. Just keep it controlled medically and you should be fine--I have been for 50+ years.