I have asthma should i still play the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by longmvu, Nov 25, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you were my student, I would talk to your doctor about what I do and how I do it. Together, we can probably keep you happy and alive. Without that professional cooperation, I wouldn't touch it as a teacher.

2. longmvu

longmvu New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    ok thanks

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Is the pope Catholic ? Do bears poop in the woods ?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Docs, I just had pulmonologist follow-up checkup this past Monday, and although diagnosed with COPD, my lungs were clear. My Doc wanted to know how my trumpet playing was and when I told him I was rebuilding my lip - embouchure following major dental, his remark was, "... keep playing ...". At least this Rx is less expensive than others!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sir, You have found yourself an EXCELLENT doctor!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I bet you and your wife tell that to each other every day!!!!!!!!!!! if not -- then you should - well you could leave SIR out of the the statement ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    This no one has to tell me ... I positively know it! So many doctors attended me at Wake Med hospital that I thought I was in a delirium ... which I probably was ... but he was so often at my bedside that I had a semblance of continuity in the passing of time.

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with gmonady. A person with well-controlled asthma or COPD (emphysema or chronic bronchitis) can definitely play the trumpet.

Just one qualification about this. I don't want anyone to read more into this issue beyond the great advice that was explicitly stated. Any aerobic activity (such as playing the trumpet) can increase your aerobic conditioning. This is a good thing for anyone. For those with asthma or COPD, it can help you breathe more efficiently and improve your quality of life. However, it will not change the course of the disease itself.

Mike

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dr. Mike, Be assured that I've been apprised that while much of the damage to my lungs has been done, that COPD will be with me the rest of my life, and that I am now even more susceptiple to further damage or other maladies.

Before every practice or performance session I monitor my O2 level with a finger meter, and I have two Rx inhalers, one an emergency ProAir HFA and the other Symbicort 80/4.5 2 puffs twice daily. Too, I've my own Oxygen concentrators, both battery portable and home AC unit. Also have my own emergency defibrillator and ventilator.

Jokingly, I almost need a trailer to carry all my needed meds & supplies. (Not really a joke, is it?)

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi Ed. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Just for clarification, I wasn't directing my comments toward you or anyone specifically. I was afraid someone might misinterpret the prior comments by thinking they won't need their inhaler if they play the trumpet. But the good news is that aerobic conditioning can definitely improve your quality of life.