I have never heard of this Brand?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rmmodine, Aug 12, 2009.

1. rmmodine

rmmodine New Friend

Aug 12, 2009
    I have never heard of this brand nor can i find it anywhere online. I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me if they have ever heard of it?
    it is called a: taiwanese, Gulf?

If you have heard of it and have any info about it could you please let me know. Thank you

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    No...I'd stay away from Taiwan trumpets.

Welcome to Trumpet Master!

I noticed on this forum,....I don't recall anybody talking about, or claiming on their multi-artillery-list, Stomvi trumpets, either........hmmmmmm, why not?

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Because Tony Kadleck only played on the intermediate stomvis

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    When curious about a brand name you've never encountered before, one of the best resources is your local instrument repair technician (or e-mail me off-list and I'll be happy to help since I'm a repair technician, member of NAPBIRT). If he/she has ever run into that brand before, they'll be happy to tell you their opinion of it, and if they have never run into it before, chances are it's not worth buying.

If you don't have a local repair technician yet, you can visit Home Page and click on the Tech Locator link on the lower left of the home page and then enter your zip code and/or state and city and it will give you the names of the closest shops.

5. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I'm going to post anew thread about Stomvi.

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Stomvi makes some wonderful instruments. Don't rule them out when looking for a pro horn. I have played many of them and owned some in the past. They are brighter than some, but they do the job very well.

True Tone likes this.
  7. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I wouldn't trust that brand. If you do get a trumpet like that be very careful with it. If you hit something hard against it lightly it will leave a nice ding. Welcome to TM !!

8. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Of course the same can be said for any of the "lightweight" models that the major makers put out also -- the first Kanstul-Bessons I held felt like tin foil in my hands, they were so light, and the gauge of the metal in the bells was so thin.

What's bad about many of the Taiwanese and Chinese horns, however, is that if you hit them lightly against something the braces often pop loose and you need to get them resoldered.

Dennis78 and True Tone like this.
  9. L.Lim

L.Lim New Friend

Jul 30, 2009
    have you ever heard of a brand of trumpet call Hardel? the serial number is 20232. on the bell is engraved Hardel made in USA

10. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I've never heard of that brand. Can't find any information on it on-line, either.

Sometimes the "Made in USA" is applied to instruments which arrive disassembled so they can be assembled here and thus technically be "made in USA."

I would be wary of that brand -- where could you buy repair parts should that be necessary?