I have some tranposing questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    1. I have some simple transposition question if I have a trumpet part written in do I transpose up one half step or down step if I’m using my B-flat trumpet
    2. If I have a trumpet part written in E and I use a B-flat trumpet I know that I transpose up a tritone (Augmented 4th) or 6 half steps right. What do you do if it is a C trumpet is it up a major third (3 half steps up)?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    1) "Do" or C trumpet is up one full step. C is D, Eb is F.

2)I've always wondered why people think in many half steps instead of mostly whole steps. It's like telling me that something is 24 inches instead of a two feet.

A major third is two full steps up. C is E, G is B, F#is A#, B is D#, etc.

Please consult your teacher or pro for studies that'll be useful. Don't ask another student. It can get very confusing.

ML

3. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    That's an excellent point, and I've been guilty of that myself. I guess folks are afraid of having to split a step (What if you have to go 1 1/2 steps?). For some reason we seem to think it's easier to look at that as 3 half steps instead of 1 1/2, which is dumb if you think about it. If I need 1 1/2 feet, it's a whole lot easier for me to measure that than it is to go 18 inches (certianly easier, at least, to conceptualize).

For me, I usually figure out the interval in terms of staff lines...Bb to C transposition is 1 step up, so I'll go to the next line if the note is on the space, and the next space if it's on a line. Then I just figure out what the key would be on a C trumpet and play everything in that key. Works out real easy that way (at least, until I hit an accidental....). Bb to D I just move to the next line if the note is on a line, the next space if it's on a space. So F becomes A, G becomes B, and so forth...

So I'm handed a part for D trumpet in the key of F. I play in the key of G on my Bb and play every note on the next corresponding line or space up from the original.

Of course, we all are wired differently upstairs. So perhaps there's better ways of doing it for each individual. Certainly can't claim I do it best...just that that's how I do it...

And if you think that's bad, you should see how I memorized my minor keys.....

4. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think some people use half steps because they are used to transposing on keyboards and synths. To go up a P4 you would then go up 5 half steps instead of thinking of mezzo-soprano clef + 1 flat.

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    BBW,

Good point!

ML

6. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Manny and BBW,

How do you guys transpose? Were either of you from the "clef" school? I made that up, but I do remember having a few teachers that wanted to me to read the diff clefs... I went nuts!! Do they still teach the clef approach?

Thanks.

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    At some point I answered this question extensively... do a search... in the meanwhile, yes. I used bass clef, the c clefs, and an interval or two.

I don't know of anyone left that teaches that besides, Vacchiano, Schleuter, and myself. that doesn't mean there aren't... I just don't know who they are.

ML

8. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Sorry Manny... yes I did a search and found several posts... thanks.

That's a feature in this sight that's often overlooked by some us lazy folks... :oops:

9. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am a former Schlueter student. He is a big proponent of clefs. I have found them to be much easier for me than intervals.

10. Mzony

Mzony Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Manny,
    Voisin hit me over the head so much with that stuff...In fact I still have a headache. :shock: :lol:
    I try and talk a lot about that, because it is an (IMO) easier way and a more reliable way to transpose.

Mike