I have the opportunity to purchase... King SilverTone 1930's Trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Osren, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Silversorcerer

Silversorcerer Forte User

Jun 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    Looks like a sweet one to me. Liberty trumpets usually bring a good price even without the silver bell. I've seen the silver bell models go for near twice that ask. And this is the best era to have, in my opinion. I have a King Master cornet with similar engraving and brace details and the valves are so slippery it is effortless. I think it is the same valve cluster and top spring mechanism on the Liberty. And while the photos do not show it well, I do think this model has the diamond faceted bell rim, which is one of the most beautiful and subtle details on any vintage trumpet. Most trumpets from that era have robust bell rims (the vocabell Conn being the noted exception) but the King faceted rim is the most elegant of bell rims. It looks particularly sweet with the gold wash and reflects in a completely different way than the rounded rims of the previous Liberty models. Add that to the art deco engravings and to me these are the most desirable of the silver bell King trumpets.

2. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    thanx for all the replies..... It has eased my nerves about purchasing it.

I did have the seller send me some pix of the valves... they look nice.

Guess I will find out in next week if I just blew $500 or not...

3. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Getting it that cheap should give you lots of head room for repairs, as long as your overall budget can accomodate that. I'm bad about considering something a "deal" without thinking through the repair/refurbishment costs!

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I wouldn't pay 500$ for any vintage horn unless the valves were fast and responsive with good compression. I think people get too sentimental about the art deco engravings. It's an era of art but not necessarily quality. Some of the cheapo vintage horns have the great engraving.

It's too much of a personal risk because the only way you'll know it works right is if you play it. Consider throwing a low ball offer. I'd offer 250$ plus shipping/paypal fees.

At 500$ it ought to be a player. There is no way it's not going to need some work.

5. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    I have the 1939 Sterling Silver version and a 1936 brass version of this horn. Both are great players with a rich somewhat bright sound with my Hammond MV. I paid ~2x what you did but mine was pristine and had been stored for about 50 years. It is basically like new except where the lacquer darkened up. It's in my avatar. My 1936 brass one was an ugly ducking but sang beautifully. Some lacquer removal to raw brass and it's a looker as well as a player.

You won't lose money if you find you don't like it and want to sell.

6. yooncanoe

yooncanoe New Friend

Dec 27, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    If it has tight valves you have a good deal but without tight valves it is just a fair price...$3-400 in valve repairs puts it at $900 and that is the going rate for a good condition player.

7. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Congrats man! Great decision!