I have this huge blister on my lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Dec 29, 2009.

1. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    So since its Winter Break I decided to take a break from playing trumpet for like 3 or 4 days. Because my previous section leader saifd that I should rest my chops 2x more than I practice and before school let out my school band has been doing alot of stuff the week before school let out we had alot of 9 o clock practices and alot of performances. So I've noticed that I've had this long blister going acreoss my top lip for a while and I thought nothing of it because they usually go away after a while. But this blister has been here for like 3 weeks and I think that its starting to affect my playing.

Can you guys suggest me something that would help it heal faster?

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Have you had it looked at? Does it appear to be a pressure blister or a cold sore (aka sun blister or fever blister)? Cold sores are caused by viruses and can result from some sort of biological stress such as prolonged playing. However, any type of blister should show signs of decreasing after 3 weeks. So, other than recommending a cold sore medicine (such as Blistex) that is available at any drug store, you really should have this checked. It does not sound normal to me (not a doctor!).
    Good luck.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    If you've had a blister there for 3 weeks, go see a dermatologist -- if it's a normal blister it should have gone away in a few days.

I had such a thing on my lip way back in 8th grade, and it turned into a wart which I had to have three different treatments to try to get rid of (two with liquid something-or-other to freeze it and one with an electric needle to try to burn it off.) I still have a small scar where it was, but once it was gone I could get back to playing.

Don't wait when then health of your lips is at stake.