I have to pull my tuning slide out this much

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Hello

I own a Besson Sovereign 927 (.460 bore) and I have to pull my tuning slide out this far (see photo) to play in tune.
    I don't think this is usual? I have like 1cm left and then my tuning slide would be out of the cornet.
    [​IMG]

Is the problem caused by the mouthpiece (I play a bach 3C)? This can't be normal?

Regards

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I have a swiss cornet that is in pretty much the same situation. There are many explanations that I can think of. A) European tuning. B) Britsh Brass Band tuning. C) I contacted the manufacturer, whose German accented email said it was a B, which in the german system is a Bb, because they refer to B's as H, but maybe she actually meant an English B. D) Some horns are just like that. E) The factory is in a Swiss mountain somewhere and the speed of sound makes tunings different there.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Deleted

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Deleted

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Alternative would be longer inner slides put on the tuning slide. You'd still be pulling out your slide the same amount but you could gain more slide to play with when tuning lower than the horn wants to go.

6. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Wouldn't this make the cornet more sharp, necessitating pulling out the tuning slide even more?

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yes...I suppose I had a senior moment while typing that...:oops: I'll delete the post so as not to confuse anyone.

8. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Stupid, ignorant question here. Do traditional British brass bands play in standard A 440 or higher pitch?

9. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    That would be a good reason for my problem, didn't think of this before.

Just found this:
    "Before the mid 1960s there was a more practical problem to overcome regarding
    experimentation with other instruments: pitch. While all other musical ensembles tuned to an A
    above middle C pitched at 440Hz, brass bands tuned to 452.5Hz - so called "high pitch". Even
    the change to Universal Pitch was met with predictable stubbornness. The rule about pitching to
    the Crystal Palace organ was short-lived due to its obvious practical difficulty, the change being
    forced by the manufacturers and fixed at 1st April 1965."
    source: http://www.bandsman.co.uk/downloads/history.pdf

But this cornet isn't that old, so it's probably made to tune in 440?

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I don't think all bands switched overnight, so supposedly there are still bands that play with a high pitch today. My horn is from the 1970's, maybe there was a period where some horns were designed to be played either way.