I have to pull my tuning slide out this much

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Mar 7, 2013.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Not sure the age of your horn. Around the early 1900s tuning reverted to a lower pitch. Many of the horns (like some of my early Kings) have LF on the leadpipe telling the buyer they play in the (then) new lower frequency. As the lower frequency became the norm, they stopped placing it on horns. So, my thought is the mouthpiece isn't the problem if it is a very old horn.

2. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    The serial number (927-768954) dates the horn in 1989, following this chart: Gordon's Blog: Besson (Boosey and Hawkes) Serial Number List 1974-2002
    So it has to be LF (A=440Hz)

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well, I asked because I have some early Conn Wonders. High-pitch horns. And I have to pull the tuning slide out nearly an inch to get to A440. The valve slides have to be pulled out as well. Intonation is a bit sketchy as a result.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Look for an internal obstruction - something reducing the overall volume inside the horn.

5. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    And how do I do this exactly? There are no dents at all, so...
    thanks

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Have you tried any other mouthpieces on it? If so, do you get the same result? When the slide is pulled out this far, do all the notes on the cornet play pretty well in tune? I would think that you'd need to pull the other slides a bit to even things up. How about the valve alignment? The downward alignment is pretty easy to check by just pulling a slide and depressing the valve, and looking down the slide you should see nothing but the hole in the valve. Upward alignment is a lot more tricky.

As for high/low pitch, I'm sure your cornet was made in low pitch, unless it has been modified for some reason. Brass bands play in modern (low) pitch, too, so that's not a factor.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It seems to me that A=440 Hz is for C instrumentation only! This is as such most tuners read. When one is playing a Bb instrument to attain this tonal frequency they would play a B natural (2nd valve only for Bb cornet or trumpet) two semi-tones higher than an A, the latter for the C instrument.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Just crawl inside.

Run a snake through it. Maybe there's a dead roach in the bell bow. Or a solder blob. Find someone with a bore scope.
    Have you had someone else play it? Find someone who plays a lot of cornet and have 'em use their mouthpiece.

When yo say "play in tune", how are you checking it? Have you played with others?

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Two of my trumpets need this same amount of slide extension for me to play them in tune. I tune to the oboe in one band, the tuba in another, and I check with a Temby tuner at home - they are all result in the main tuning slide being within a Gnat's Nut of the same extension, regardless. My 1955 Boosey and Hawkes HP trumpet is in tune with only 1/2" of slide extension. I've ceased worrying about it - as long as I blend.

10. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    The valve alignment is good. I've played this cornet with an old yamaha mouthpiece and I still have to pull out the slide this much...

I've cleaned this cornet already with a snake, but everything is normal ;).
    I use an electronic tuner and when I play a C on the cornet (which is a Bb in concert pitch) I tune it to a Bb.

I've played with others and havn't had bad comments from my teacher about the cornet, but I'll ask her to play with it to check the intonation etc.

I know, but when we talk in concert pitch the A is still 440Hz, but I understand that this can be confusing ;).