I have to pull my tuning slide out this much

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Mar 7, 2013.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Concert pitch is the same as C instrumentation, and it's true that if you played a C on your cornet that it would be a Bb in concert pitch, but I cannot understand how you think you've thus tuned your cornet to Bb. A = 440 Hz is a natural B on a Bb cornet, concert B is a C# on your Bb cornet, concert C is a D on the Bb cornet etc. etc.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    There was a series of 927 Besson cornets (around 1988/9, shortly after they introduced that numbering system) that were intended to be played with extremely deep Denis Wick mouthpieces (the #4 Denis Wick of that time was about three millimetres deeper than the current model!) and therefore needed to be shorter to be compatible with A=440. I presume you've got one of these. Try changing the mpc - perhaps a 3c Flugel mouthpiece would bethe solution: It would still fit into the leadpipe, but would be slightly longer than the 3c, and would have a deeper cup. Problem solved.
    As regards your 3c: Is it an original Bach 3c, or a shorter clone?

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    :stars:

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This suggests getting the leadpipe lengthened.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Going for a longer leadpipe is like going after the cat in Alien. Few survive, and no one can hear you scream.

[​IMG]

7. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    It's a real Bach 3c ;).
    But because I don't have playing problems I'll keep my setup (mpc) like it's now.
    I just wanted to know how this was possible, so now I know :D

thanks for all the information!

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would also say, if it plays in tune and doesn't fall out the horn, who cares! It pulls out that far for a reason. I had the guy next to me tell me my slide was pulled out too far. I commented that I was in tune. He insisted I COULDN'T be and that I was flat. Put the tuner on it and I was spot on. Put the tuner on his horn and he was almost a half step sharp! I said you need to pull your slide out. He blushed and said he couldn't, it was stuck ( this was 4 yrs ago and it's STILL stuck). I don't take his advise seriously anymore. I would trust barliman's info regarding your horn. Get the DW mpc or just keep doing what you're doing. It doesn't matter if it's in tune.

9. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    This could have been a picture of my King Opus 7 a year ago, when I was using a Bach 3C and experiencing inconsistent intonation, along with playing very sharp. Frustrating.

In a quest to get a darker, mellower sound, I contacted Mark Curry, and he recommended his 3DC. The first time I played this mouthpiece, the sound was awful, and I thought I had made a mistake by purchasing it, but I stuck with it the rest of the day. The next day my embouchure had adjusted to the new mouthpiece enough that it sounded really nice. I then went through the entire range with a tuner and discovered that I was able to push the tuning slide in to about 2/3 of what it was before, and the inconsistencies in intonation pretty much disappeared.. Within the next week and a half my endurance and especially my upper register improved considerably, and the timbre was beautiful.

Recently I came across a Benge 3 mouthpiece like was supposed to come with my horn, but didn't, and I tried it out. Timbre was slightly fuller than the Curry 3DC, and response was noticeably better; lip slurs were cleaner. And... I was able to push the tuning slide in a little more, maybe half of what we see in your photo.

I purchased the Opus 7 because of its sound, and I was unhappy with the way it played, but since I came upon the solution, I now love this horn. I think your cornet is in need of the right mouthpiece, and I hope you find it soon. Many on TM say that the right stuff will find you if you are patient. I agree; it sure has worked out that way for me countless times. I have to add that the quality of the information available here on TM and the helpfulness and knowledge of the members is humbling.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    you sir are the man!